PhDs - The Transition from Graduate Student to Assistant Professor, Career Center, UC-Berkeley
“Tomorrow's Academic Careers” – postings from the Tomorrow's Professor Listserv
“Early Career Geoscience Faculty: Teaching, Research, and Managing Your Career.”
NB: Although this is from a professional development website designed specifically for Geoscience faculty, it contains a wealth of online resources relevant to all new faculty. Topics covered include (1) Making Choices: Finding Your Balance, (2) Efficient, Effective Teaching, (3) Developing a Thriving Research Program, and (4) Getting Tenure.
- “Open Letter to 2010-11′s First-Time Tenure-Track Professors”
- “From Graduate Students to Faculty Member”
Selected “Random Thoughts” columns by Professor Richard M. Felder of North Carolina State University
- “The Effective, Efficient Professor”
NB: This article sums up the main points of Phillip Wankat's eponymous book.
- “Things I wish they had told me” (coauthored with Rebecca Brent)
- “The New Faculty Member”
NB: This article summarizes the key points of Robert Boice's Advice for New Faculty Members.
- “How to Prepare New Courses While Keeping Your Sanity” (coauthored with Rebecca Brent)
Quentin Vicens & Philip E. Bourne, “Ten Simple Rules To Combine Teaching and Research”, PLoS Computational Biology