Health & Wellness

For undergraduate students, college is a time when, as young adults, you learn to manage your own health and wellness needs. Graduate and medical students are in a different way balancing personal health and academic, clinical, teaching and/or family demands. Multiple departments at Brown help you as a student -- undergraduate, graduate, or medical --to maintain a healthy lifestyle, access medical care, and cope with changing academic pressures, difficult personal circumstances, or turning points in your life.

Fitness & Recreation

Recreation classes and intramural sports are sponsored through the Physical Education & Recreational Sports department of Brown Athletics. Take a cardio or swim class, or form an intramural team with your departmental group or residence hall mates. In addition to the Nelson Fitness and Coleman Aquatics Center, the three satellite fitness centers in the residence halls are available to actively-enrolled students with their Brown ID card.


We encourage Brown students who are ill with influenza-like illness to report their illness and missed class time through the FluWeb website at Registering on FluWeb allows you to tell Dining the name of the FluBuddy who is bringing you food while you're stuck in your room sick, or tell the deans of an academic emergency due to your illness. You will receive a follow-up phone call from Student Life or Health Services, so please be sure to provide a phone number where we can reach you.

Health Care & Health Promotion

Brown University Health Services provides health and medical care for all actively-enrolled undergraduate, graduate, and medical students.  Services include same-day appointments for illness, appointments for routine care (e.g., annual physical, gynecology, dermatology), pharmacy (prescriptions and over-the-counter products), lab and x-ray. The BWell: Office of Health Promotion offers a vibrant website of information, workshops, individual appointments, and special events on a wide range of health topics including alcohol, tobacco and drugs, nutrition, sexual health, and sexual assault and relationship violence.

Medical advice is available 24/7 by calling (401) 863-1330. When Health Services is open, you will talk with a nurse on-site; when Health Services is closed, there is on-call coverage for this service.

Mental Health & Counseling

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides free provides crisis intervention, short-term individual therapy, group therapy, community outreach, and referral services to actively-enrolled Brown undergraduate, graduate, and medical students. Visits to CAPS are covered by the Health Services fee. At the end of an initial visit, you and the clinician will decide whether to schedule further appointments. CAPS provides therapy in a short-term model. If you are interested in ongoing, longer-term therapy, the clinician will make a referral to therapists in the community. When appropriate, a medication consultation is scheduled with one of Brown's staff psychiatrists. A current list of groups sponsored or co-sponsored by CAPS is available on the CAPS website.