Crisis Assistance

How to Help a Friend in Distress

  • Are you worried about a Brown student?
  • Do you need consultation about a difficult and urgent situation?
  • Not sure what to do, where to turn, or who can help?

Check out the crisis resource website written specifically to assist students in helping their friends, and for Brown faculty, staf,f, or family concerned about a Brown student.

Emergency Phone Numbers - 24/7

There is always help available for students' emergencies and crisis situations.  Check Emergency Contacts for phone numbers.

Student Support deans                (401) 863-3145   M-F work hours
Administrator on Call                  (401) 863-3322   emergencies after hours*
Sexual Assault Response Line   (401) 863-6000   available 24/7
Brown Public Safety                     (401) 863-4111    available 24/7
Medical Advice                              (401) 863-1330   available 24/7
Mental Health support                (401) 863-3476   available 24/7

*For assistance with emergencies at night or on weekends (e.g., a student's immediate safety or threat to others, missing student, death in the family), or during University Breaks, Brown Public Safety can connect you with the Administrator on Call. 

Campus Life Emergency Fund

The Office of the Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services has limited funding available to assist students who are unable to pay for emergency or crisis expenses. The aim of these funds is to assist students with an emergency need for which no other funding is available within the university or externally.

If you have an urgent need and are not sure where to turn for assistance, please contact us. We will assist you in determining if these funds are appropriate. We encourage you to let us know if you are struggling with a financial need.

Once you complete the application, you can expect to be contacted the next business day (Monday – Friday).  If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Laurinda Custodio by email or by phone at (401) 863-1800.