Where to go?

The Bursar's Office handles billing and collection for all student accounts (i.e., tuition as well as other charges and credits for which students are responsible). Tuition payment policies and billing schedules are published on this website, along with answers to frequently asked questions. The Bursar's Office also provides information about Tuition Insurance, which is optional but highly recommended.

The Cashier's Office records payments made to student accounts, including loan payments and Bear Bucks deposits. Go to this site for Brown's payment address and instructions for wiring funds to Brown.

The Financial Aid Office manages financial aid applications for undergraduate and graduate students. Students who wish to receive financial aid must submit financial aid applications every year. The Financial Aid website includes applications and information about deadlines, along with other important policies. Financial aid for the medical school  is managed through the Alpert Medical School (AMS) Office of Financial Aid.

The Loan Office manages all federal and institutional loan programs, including Federal Perkins, Health Profession, and University funds. The Loan Office also provides required Exit Counseling and loan repayment information for students.

Financial Education

Learning to manage money is key to a successful and stable adult life. Develop your personal finance skills in Get Your Bearings: Brown Financial Literacy, a series of workshops and monthly newsletters that cover timely topics about the financial aid application cycle, budgeting, borrowing wisely, loan repayment, and building credit.  

Bear Bucks

Bear Bucks is an optional University-maintained debit account that provides a convenient and safe way to make purchases and access services on campus. BearBucks functions much like any other bank debit account with two major differences: funds deposited into a Bear Bucks account may be used only on campus, and cash withdrawals are prohibited. Account information is confidential and can be disclosed only to the account holder (i.e., the student). Log into your Bear Bucks account on-line at any time to review your account balance and activity statements, or to report your card lost or stolen.

Using Bear Bucks: Make purchases without cash at any Brown University location that accepts Bear Bucks. With funds in your Bear Bucks account, swipe your Brown Card to pay for the following on-campus transactions:

  • Laundry in the residence halls (Bear Bucks only, no cash) 
  • Photocopying and printing 
  • Purchases in Dining Services' retail venues, coffee carts, Campus Market
  • Brown Bookstore, Campus Shop, and Computer Store merchandise
  • College Hill Cafe (in the bookstore)
  • Pharmacy and over-the-counter products at Health Services
  • Vending machine snacks and beverages
  • Library late fees

Deposit Funds to Bear Bucks: Add funds to your Bear Bucks account by mail or in person at the Cashier's Office. You may also insert cash into a Value Port machine to add to your Bear Bucks Account; see the Bear Bucks website for a list of Value Port locations.

Living @ Brown: Financial Considerations

As a result of conversations with students, we have published, and are reviewing response to, a new document in fall 2014. The document Living @ Brown: Financial Considerations  is available in English.

Como resultado de las conversaciones con los estudiantes , hemos publicado un nuevo documento en el otoño de 2014. El documento La Vida @ Brown: Consideraciones Financieras está disponible en español.



U Funds

UFunds coordinates applications for funding from the Dean of the College, the President's Office, the Office of International Affairs, and Campus Life. Visit the site to browse and apply for relevant grants.

Campus Life Emergency Fund

The Office of the Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services has limited funding available to assist students who are unable to pay for emergency or crisis expenses. The aim of these funds is to assist students with an emergency need for which no other funding is available within the university or externally.

Refunds of Tuition & Fees

Students who need to withdraw from a term of study once it has begun may be eligible for a partial refund of tuition and fees. Refunds are determined according to the time of the semester and the reasons for withdrawal. If a partial refund is made, students do not earn enrollment credit toward graduation for the given term. Brown's Tuition refund policy is posted on the Bursar's website.  For housing fee refunds, see the Residence Life Refund Information page. Meal plan refund information is published on Dining's terms and conditions webpage. Students who are suspended or dismissed during a term of study do not qualify for refund of tuition and fees in that term. The same is true for students who withdraw from a term when they are under University investigation for misconduct.