Academic & Student Conduct

Principles of the Brown University Community

All members of Brown are guided by the Principles of the Brown University Community. In becoming a part of Brown University, we accept the rights and responsibilities of membership in the University’s academic and social community, and assume the responsibility to uphold the University’s principles.

As a central aim, Brown University promotes intellectual inquiry through vigorous discourse, both oral and written, which requires that all members of the community be dedicated to supporting and maintaining a scholarly community in which all share together in the common enterprise of learning. The fundamental principles that must necessarily undergird this aim include respect for the integrity of the academic process; individual integrity and self-respect; respect for the freedoms and privileges of others; and respect for University resources.

Academic and  Student Conduct Codes

The Brown community has developed procedures to address behaviors that interfere with the educational mission of the University. In conjunction with the Principles of the Brown University Community, the Academic and Student Conduct Codes provide expectations of behavior; define violations of the codes; and describe processes for filing complaints, procedures for review and adjudication of alleged violations, and support available to students involved in disciplinary issues. Participation in specific programs may require students to comply with additional expectations or restrictions.

Students not only have the responsibility to support the Principles of the Brown University Community but also have an important role to play in addressing behaviors that are inconsistent with the Principles. The student conduct procedures are in place to protect student rights, and Brown students participate within these procedures by serving on the Peer Community Standards Board and the Student Conduct Board.

The Code of Student Conduct may be found on the website of the Office of Student Life. The Academic Code may be found on the websites of the Dean of the College, the Dean of the Graduate School, and the Medical School.

Alleged violations of the Code of Student Conduct are managed by the Office of Student Life; of the Academic Code, by the Dean of the College, the Dean of the Graduate School, or the Dean of Medicine.

Conflict Resolution

Housing: For housing and roommate concerns, you might start by talking with your residential peer leader (CA, RC, MPC, or WPC) as the first resource for concerns about housing, roommates, or the residential community.  You may also meet with the Community Director (CD) assigned to your area of campus. The CD is a professional staff member who lives in the residence halls and has a daytime office in Residential Life (Grad Center E); check the Residential Life website for the name and phone number of the CD assigned to your area of campus or call ResLife at (401) 863-3500.

Deans and other administrators: You may meet with a dean to discuss a situation that is concerning to you and to explore options for resolving the situation; deans in the College, Graduate School and Medical School work with issues of academic or classroom conduct, while deans in Student Life work with all other behavior and situations. The staff you encounter in many of your activities or the student services offices may also be helpful in directing you to resources. The Coordinator of Sexual Assault Prevention and Advocacy is available to help Brown students affected by sexual violence and abuse in a relationship.

Filing Complaints

ACADEMIC - Complaints about alleged academic misconduct or dishonesty should be directed to the Dean of the College for undergraduates, the Dean of the Graduate School for graduate students, or the Dean of Medicine for medical students).

NON-ACADEMIC - Students, faculty and staff may file a complaint about non-academic conduct with the Office of Student Life, either in writing or on line. In deciding whether to file a complaint, students may discuss their concerns with a dean in the Office of Student Life.

SEXUAL & GENDER-BASED VIOLENCE - Reports of sexual harassment and assault should be directed to the Title IX Office. Students with questions or concerns about sexual assault, harassment, and violence may also consult confidentially with the Sexual Harassment and Assault Resources and Education (SHARE) Advocate.  Questions about criminal complaints may also be directed to Brown Public Safety.