Commencement is an important event for you, your family, and the entire University community. To participate in this event, eligible graduate students need to take several steps beginning in mid-January:
To participate in these events, eligible graduate students need to take several steps:
1. Fill out the Application to Graduate on self-service Banner by May 1 (Registrar’s requirement)
- The University can only graduate and generate diplomas for graduate students who complete this application.
- The application, which is available from mid-January until May 1, enables you to list your name as you would like it to appear on your diploma and be read at Commencement. The default formula is first name, middle name, last name.
- Once logged into Banner, select the Student Records menu and select the Application to Graduate menu item.
2. Register for Commencement by May 1 (Graduate School requirement)
- Indicate whether you will participate in either the Graduate School doctoral or master's ceremony on May 28.
- Identify awards and honors you received while a graduate student at Brown, for possible inclusion in the Commencement program. Please do so regardless of whether you plan to attend the ceremony.
- This step is separate from submitting the Application to Graduate in Banner.
3. Rent or purchase academic regalia
You must wear regalia appropriate for your degree to participate in the procession and ceremony. There are no exceptions to this rule. You can order your academic regalia online at the Brown Bookstore beginning in early February. Master’s and PhD candidates need a gown, cap or tam, and a hood. The Bookstore charges an additional $6.50 late fee for rental orders placed after April 17.
4. Pre-register with GradImages, our Commencement photographer, for the opportunity to order photos. Photo samples and ordering information will be mailed to you after the event. Search for Brown University on the Pre-Event Registration page.
6. Plan to attend a mandatory rehearsal on Saturday, May 27 at Simmons Quad, followed by a reception for graduating students on McMillan side lawn tent along Manning Walk.
Rehearsal: 1:45 pm
Reception: 2:45 pm
Rehearsal: 3:00 pm
Reception: 3:45 pm
We also ask graduate students to: Check the FAQ for additional information.
Certified Electronic Diplomas
Brown offers graduates the opportunity to purchase a Certified Electronic (Ce) Diploma. Find out more.
Individuals with disabilities requesting accommodations during the weekend should contact the Office of University Events and Conference Services as far in advance of Commencement as possible at 401-863-3100.