Commencement is an important event for you, your family and the entire University community. The Graduate School holds separate ceremonies for Master's and Doctoral students, with Master's student processing to Pembroke Field and doctoral students to Simmons Quad. Both locations will have ample seating and improved sight lines. The ceremonies will last about 80 minutes. We hope you will enjoy this weekend, as we celebrate academic accomplishments.
To participate in these events, eligible graduate students need to take several steps:
1. Register to attend either the Graduate School doctoral or master's ceremony. If you missed the deadline to register to attend one of the ceremonies, contact Susan Ely at 401-863-9546 as soon as possible. (This step is separate from submitting the Application to Graduate in Banner.)
2. Rent or purchase academic regalia.
You must wear regalia appropriate for your degree to participate in the procession and ceremony. There are no exceptions to this rule. If you have not already, you can order your academic regalia online at the Brown Bookstore. Master’s and PhD candidates need a gown, cap or tam, and a hood. The Bookstore charges an additional $6.50 late fee for rental orders placed after April 17.
We also ask graduate students to:
1. Plan to attend a mandatory rehearsal on Saturday, May 27 at Simmons Quad, followed by a reception for graduating students on McMillan side lawn tent along Manning Walk.
Rehearsal: 1:45 pm
Reception: 2:45 pm
Rehearsal: 3:00 pm
Reception: 3:45 pm
2. Pre-register with GradImages, our Commencement photographer, to be able to order shots and receive a free photo.
3. Sign up for Brunonia, Brown’s career network for alumni and students.
4. Check the FAQ for additional information.
Certified Electronic Diplomas
New this year, Brown is offering graduates the opportunity to purchase a Certified Electronic (Ce) Diploma. Find out more.
Individuals with disabilities requesting accommodations during the weekend should contact the Office of University Events and Conference Services as far in advance of Commencement as possible at 401-863-3100.