To participate in Commencement, eligible undergraduate students need to take several steps:
1. Multiple Concentrators: Notify the Registrar’s office which ceremony you will be attending by Wednesday, February 28, 2018, at 5 pm. This only applies to graduates who have more than one concentration and individuals in interdepartmental concentrations.
The Registrar’s Office contacts multiple concentrators via campus mail in early February to indicate where their diploma will be routed. Students must attend that specific Diploma Ceremony. Students who would like to make any changes and attend a different ceremony associated with one of their other concentrations must notify the Registrar’s Office by Wednesday, February 28, 2018. No changes will be made after this date.
2. Check the Commencement website for weekend details
Graduating Seniors are encouraged to check the Commencement website for details pertaining to the schedule of events, procession, guest seating, special needs accommodations and other items related to the weekend overall. To learn more about Brown University's Commencement, please view our Understanding Commencement presentation.
3. Submit Diploma Information via Bannerweb by Monday, April 2, 2018
This required step allows you to do two things:
- Change the way your name will appear on your diploma if you would like it to be different than how it appears on your transcript on Banner Self Service;
- To provide a summer mailing address if you are not planning to attend Commencement or your diploma needs to be re-issued post Commencement (i.e. concentration honors/magna)
Log into the Secure Student Records menu in Bannerweb to provide this information. The Application to Graduate will open on January 8th, and information about the Application will be sent to seniors at that time.
NOTE: This is a required step for undergraduates.
Brown is also now offering graduates of the Class of 2018 the opportunity to purchase a Certified Electronic (Ce) Diploma. For further information, please visit http://www.brown.edu/about/administration/registrar/cediplomas.
4. Pick up your regalia on May 1, 2018
You must wear regalia appropriate for your degree to participate in Baccalaureate, the procession, and ceremonies. There are no exceptions to this rule. Regalia can be picked up from the bookstore starting May 1st, 2018. Please contact Michelle Mare at michelle_mare(at)brown.edu if you have any questions.
5. Make arrangements for your guests with special needs by Friday, May 1, 2018.
Request accommodations for guests with special needs who will be attending Commencement weekend with as much advance notice as possible. Drop off passes for the Sunday events are often more useful and can be requested in advance or obtained onsite at the Commencement Welcome Desk in the Stephen Robert '62 Campus Center starting on Friday, May 26, 2017. You can also download a drop off pass at any time via our accessibility page.
If your guests have additional disability related needs, please contact Student and Employee Accessibility Services(SEAS) at 401-863-9588. Requests for interpreting or wheelchair access for departmental programs, forums or other events should be made with as much notice as possible but no later than May 1st, 2018. After this date, SEAS will continue process requests, but cannot guarantee accommodations can be made.
6. Attend Baccalaureate on Saturday (optional).
Baccalaureate is an optional event for undergraduate students, but members of the graduating class are encouraged to attend. Line up for the procession begins at 1:30 PM on Waterman Street in front of the Stephen Robert ’62 Campus Center. Encourage your family and guests to find comfortable seating on the Main Green to view the procession and ceremony. Guests are not permitted on the grounds of the First Baptist Church.
7. Line up for the Procession on Sunday promptly at 9:30 AM.
Line up for procession no later than 9:30 am on Sunday, May 27, 2018. Encourage your family and guests to find comfortable seating on the Main Green for the College and University ceremonies which immediately follow the procession.
8. Attend your Diploma Ceremony on Sunday. Please check here to see which diploma ceremony you should be attending. All Diploma Ceremonies are held after the University Ceremony concludes.
Other Important Information:
Collegiate Video's Commencement programs have been an institution with Brown graduates for over 20 years. Families can choose between professionally edited videos on DVD, Blu-ray discs, or, for the first time, USB Flash Drive which contains a high definition file for archiving to personal computers or uploading to cloud accounts. The cost of any format is $70 plus $7 shipping and handling. Visit the Collegiate Video website to to learn more about the contents of their unique programs or call them at (802) 365-4414 for more information.
Individuals with disabilities requesting accommodations during the weekend should contact the Office of University Events and Conference Services as far in advance of Commencement as possible at 401-863-3100 and complete the form requesting a parking permit for persons with special accessibility needs.
For detailed information on Brown's Commencement Weekend, please review our Understanding Commencement Presentation.