Brown’s Department of American Studies presents an innovative program designed for students as an intensive year of graduate studies focused on American society and culture which:
- Combines training in interdisciplinary methods with attention to individually defined research interests
- Allows students to work closely with faculty to hone their critical thinking and research skills in preparation for further graduate study or work outside the academy
The M.A. Program features:
- Intense individual advising
- Courses across the University in a range of departments
- Course-work only (no thesis)
- Preparation of an e-portfolio based on student’s area of focus;
- Opportunity for community engagement or work with a local cultural or political organization as part of course of study
- Affiliation with John Nicholas Brown Center for Public Humanities and Cultural Heritage, the Center for the Study of Race and Ethnicity in America, and the Center for Slavery and Justice.
- Career advising and resources.
Through the lens of transnational American studies and engaged scholarship, our program stresses broad interdisciplinary themes such as:
- social structures and practices of identity
- social justice and resistance studies
- production of culture and consumption
- science, technology, and everyday life
Current students and faculty work in the fields of:
Ethnicity and Belonging
Native American and Indigenous studies
Feminism and women’s studies
Queer and gender studies
Postcolonial and subaltern studies
Urban studies (built environment, heritage, memory, space/place, architecture)
Ecocriticism and Environmental studies
Film and New Media
Capitalism and Neoliberalism
Activism and Social justice
US empire and globalization
Applications will be accepted until May 1. Admission to this program is a rolling basis and applicants are encouraged to apply early.
For application information click here.
Special information for international applicants can be found here.
For questions, contact:
Caroline Frank, Co-Director and Graduate Advisor