Undergraduate Workshop on Integrating Dynamics and Stochastics
We invite undergraduate students to participate in this one day Research Training Group (RTG) workshop on "Integrating Dynamics and Stochastics." The goal of this workshop is to provide an educational and research focus to students pursuing graduate study with particular interest in the interface of dynamics and stochastics. The workshop also fosters a unique atmosphere of interaction and collaboration with faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and graduate students who are pioneering the fields of dynamics, stochastics and their applications in the modern world.
- For those who arrive early on Thursday, there is a ICERM public lecture by Robert J. Lang titled From Flapping Birds to Space Telescopes: The Mathematics of Origami at 6pm. If you are interested, please register here.
- Morning Lectures: There will be two 30-minute research talks given by John Gemmer and Johnny Guzman.
- Afternoon "Math Slam": There will be six 10-minute expository talks given by Bjorn Sandstede, Daniel Lacker,Veronica Ciocanel, Benjamin Kunsberg, Virginia-Eirini Kilikian and Christian Glusa.
- Meet and greet in the afternoon: casual setting in which to meet faculty and students in Applied Math.
- Movie presentation
Thursday, November 12, 2015
- 6:00pm ICERM Public lecture: From Flapping Birds to Space Telescopes: The Mathematics of Origami
Friday, November 13, 2015
- 9:30am John Gemmer
- 10:00am Johnny Guzman
- 10:30am Campus tour
- 12:00pm Lunch
- 2:00pm Math Slam:
- 2:00pm Bjorn Sandstede
- 2:10pm Daniel Lacker
- 2:20pm Veronica Ciocanel
- 2:30pm Benjamin Kunsberg
- 2:40pm Virginia-Eirini Kilikian
- 2:50pm Christian Glusa
- 3:00pm "Meet and greet"
- 4:00pm Movie
- 5:30pm Dinner
Division of Applied Mathematics
182 George Street
Providence, RI 02912
Please be aware that Providence can be cold and rainy in November (low 30s at night), so plan accordingly. Also, we will be walking throughout the day, so comfortable shoes are advised.
- From T. F. Green airport (Providence): By commuter rail: take the commuter line from T. F. Green to Providence Station ($3.25 for a one way trip). Tickets can be bought at T. F. Green or from the MBTA smartphone app. By bus: buses 1, 8, 14 and 20 will take you from T. F. Green to downtown Providence.
- From Logan airport (Boston): Take the free Silver Line Bus Rapid Transit service to South Station. From South Station, take the commuter to Providence Station ($10.50 for a one way trip). Tickets can be bought at South Station or from the MBTA smartphone app.
- Parking: Free all day street parking can be found east of 182 George Street. Another option is the Power Street Parking Garage. Click here for a map of these parking options.
If you have been allocated travel or hotel funds, please fill out the following form:https://secure.brown.edu/purchasing/visitor/. Please send all travel receipts to Jennifer McLean at [email protected].
This workshop is funded by the Research Training Group: Integrating Dynamics and Stochastics (NSF grant 114-8284).