Brief History of the Division
The Division of Applied Mathematics had its origin in a program of Advanced Instruction and Research in Mechanics, established in the summer of 1941, on the recommendation of a committee of the National Research Council. This Council expressed its concerns regarding the lack of applied mathematicians in the United States, and the effect this might produce on the war effort. R. G. D. Richardson, Dean of the Graduate School and Secretary of the American Mathematical Society, succeeded in establishing such a program at Brown.
Already a significant part of the European scientific community had fled Europe due to the persecutions of World War II, and the times made inevitable the necessity to establish a premier program in the United States, where these notable scientists could flourish and collaborate. Among them was William Prager, an eminent German applied mathematician, whom Dean Richardson arranged to come to Brown in order to lead the program.
During the fall of 1941, approximately 30 students attended, but in the following summer the enrollment rose dramatically to 110 students. Many distinguished faculty from around the world flocked to Brown University. On the recommendation of a committee appointed by Brown’s President Henry M. Wriston, and including Theodore von Karman, Marston Morse and Warren Weaver, the very successful program became known as the Graduate Division of Applied Mathematics, established in May, 1946. In 1954 the undergraduate curriculum leading to the Bachelor of Science was instituted, and its first degrees were conferred in 1956.
We also offer several articles composed by Professor Wendell Fleming, who records his memories of life as a young mathematician, as well as some research work.