BIOL 0200 Replacement | AP/IB Transfer Credit

Advanced Placement (AP) Credit

Successful completion of BIOL0200 demonstrates preparedness for advanced Biology courses and is a prerequisite for enrollment in those classes.  It is also a requirement for students in all of the biology concentrations. Alternatively, this prerequisite may be satisfied through one of the following:

Passing the Biology placement exam *administered electronically through Banner*
- AP Biology exam score of 4 or >4
- IB HL Biology exam score of 5 or >5
-  A-levels with a grade of C or better

Students who have met at least one of the above critera are advised not to take BIOL 0200 and will not be allowed to register for the course.

For questions about the BIOL 0200 requirement, please contact [email protected]

Academic Year 2021-22 | Placement Exam Dates

- Fall Semester:  
The placement exam will open on Wednesday Oct. 27 and close on Nov. 16 at 5pm EST

- Spring Semester: 
The placement exam will open on January 11, 2022 and close on February 23, 2022 at 5pm EST

How do I register for the BIOL 0200 placement exam?

Please access the link through the secure student portion of self-service banner web. The results of this exam will be available immediately and will determine whether you will need to complete BIOL200 before enrolling in courses for which BIOL200 is a pre-requisite. The placement exam consists of 60 multiple choice questions.  A minimum score of 50% is required to pass.

For further information regarding placement policy, consult with Academic Advisor [email protected] at the BUE office or the BioMed Multidisciplinary Laboratories - 401/863-2967. 

Transfer/Study Abroad Credit

Students who have successfully completed college courses elsewhere may apply to the University for the transfer of credit. Brown University policies for study abroad credit transfer may be found at International Programs and domestic study away. For additional information, consult the Dean of the College.

Courses may be transferred from other institutions to count toward a concentration in the Biological Sciences. Transfer and study abroad students are encouraged to discuss their transfer credit plans with their concentration advisor initially. Dean Smith assigns final Biology transfer course equivalencies in ASK. Students are welcome and encouraged to communicate with her directly to determine in advance how away courses will be assigned. 

Requests for transfer credit can now be made directly using ASK. A guide for using the online request system can be found here.