The Chemistry Department follows the safety regulations established by Brown's Environmental Health and Safety protocols.
All students, visitors, faculty and staff must complete the required University safety training before working in the research labs or gaining building access.
Staff, Faculty, Postdoctoral Researchers and Visitor should contact [email protected] to obtain a traincaster (training site) account.
Undergraduate researchers (volunteers or course credit) must submit the following forms to [email protected].
The Chemistry Department Safety Committee
The Chemistry Department has an active Safety Committee that is comprised of student, staff, and faculty representatives whose goal is to foster an inclusive safety culture within the department. Our general meetings are a venue to initiate and communicate departmental safety items, including the development of new resources or processes. The committee meets at least once per term (Fall, Spring, Summer), and if you are interested in joining, please contact the committee chair (Jerome Robinson, [email protected]).
Committee Chair - Jerome Robinson
Staff - Eric Friedfeld, Al Tente, Sheila Quigley
Faculty - Amit Basu, Peter Weber, Matthew Zimmt, Paul Williard
Students - Janet Muzulu, Paul Caffrey, Lacie Dube, Kerry Casey, Ziyi Zhao, Stephen Kocheril, Jake Villanova, Catherine Machnicki, Shi (Steve) Xu, Zehua Gao, Cooro Harris.
Links to documents specific to the Geochemistry and MacMillan buildings.
Geochemistry and MacMillan Building Guidelines and Policies (Updated June 7, 2021)
Geochemistry Building - Hazardous Materials Alarm instructions.
Helpful personnel contacts:
- For COVID reporting (compliance concerns), contact Sheila Quigley
- For building-related issues, contact Al Tente
- For purchasing and stockroom issues, contact Eric Friedfeld
- For machine-shop inquiries, contact Ken Talbot
- For NMR-related issues (including training), contact Russ Hopson
- For MS-related issues (including training), contact Tun-Li Shen
- For Computing-related issues, contact David Blair
- For non-emergency Safety-related items, contact Jerome Robinson
Please take a moment to read the material made available on this page which will be updated as safety protocols are implemented.