- Prepare for the Chemistry Placement Exam.
- Refresh and expand your introductory chemistry knowledge.
- Get feedback about your level of preparation.
- Do it online and at your own pace.
CHEM-Web is a free online tutorial that helps incoming first-year students review general chemistry. It covers stoichiometry, atomic and molecular structure, chemical bonding, solutions, chemical reactions, and thermochemistry.
The CHEM-Web does not exempt students from taking the Chemistry placement exam. The program can help you prepare for the placement exam. The alternative is to take CHEM0100, a semester-long class offered during the fall, then take CHEM0330 in the spring semester.
This tutorial is cost-free and is appropriate for students of all backgrounds.
Registration for CHEM-Web is now open.
Access the CHEM-Web Registration Form
Please note that you will need to log in with your Brown e-mail credentials. Within 24 hours of registration, you will be added to CHEM-Web in Canvas, Brown's learning management system. To access Canvas, visit canvas.brown.edu and log in using your Brown net ID (e.g. "jsmith") and password. If you need assistance with your username or password, please contact [email protected].
To learn more about Chem-Web, please email [email protected].
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is CHEM-Web tutorial taken for a grade or class credit? No, the tutorial is for the students' benefit and will assist in preparing for the Chemistry placement exam.
2. Does taking the CHEM-Web tutorial replace taking a semester of chemistry or the chemistry placement exam? No, the CHEM-Web tutorial is not for credit or for a grade. Students must take the chemistry placement exam.
3. Are there exams or quizzes in the CHEM- Web tutorial? Yes, there are quizzes and exams. The Canvas program automatically grades your quizzes but the grades are not used in your placement in a chemistry course. Students should complete the quizzes and exams to keep track of their progress. It is a good idea to aim for 70% on the first four unit exams.
4. If you have technical issues in attempting to log in or access the Canvas site, please contact [email protected]