Contact InfoGeoChem 337401-863-2488Email
Areas of Interest
- Innovative and engaging introductory chemistry and bioinorganic chemistry laboratory experiments
- Solid state and hyperpolarized 129-Xe NMR
- Collaborative teaching and learning pedagogy
Dr. Li-Qiong Wang got her Ph.D in chemistry at UC. Berkeley and has taught at Brown since January 2010. Prior to Brown, she was a Chief Scientist working in the Materials Research Division at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) for 17 years. She has been a program committee member for the Division of Chemical Education of the American Chemical Society since 2015. She was a program Co-Chair for the Chemical Education Division during the Fall 2019 ACS National Meeting. At Brown, she served on CCC from 2014-2017. She has been using her extensive research experiences to help undergraduate teaching and research. With the help of a Zern Endowed Teaching grant, she has created a new course “Chemistry and Art”, which is being taught in the Fall of 2019. Through collaborative efforts between faculty and students, she has developed new and engaging teaching materials and laboratory modules with real-world applications, resulting in several peer-reviewed publications in the Journal of Chemical Education with undergraduates as lead authors. In addition, with the DOE supports, her team built a state of art hyperpolarized 129-Xe NMR polarizer enabling investigation of structures and porosity of novel energy, catalytic and biomaterials. She has authored or co-authored over 100 peer-reviewed journal publications. She has received several awards for her scientific research, including the R&D 100 award from the U.S. Department of Energy and a PNNL exceptional contribution award.
Recent publications include:
- 1991 - Ph.D., Physical Chemistry: U.C. Berkeley
- 1982 - B.S.: Wuhan University
- H. Yang, W. Fan, K. H.-Kimball, O. Chen*, Li-Qiong Wang*, “Manganese-doped Lead-Halide Perovskite Quantum Dots – A Simple Synthesis Illustrating Optoelectronic Properties of Semiconductors,” J. Chem. Educ. ASAP, 2019.
- Y. Mao, D. Kim, R. Hopson, M.J. Sailor, and L-Q. Wang*, " Investigation of Carbon Grafted Mesoporous Silicon Sponge Using Hyper-Polarized 129Xe NMR Spectroscopy,” Journal of Materials Research. First view, 19 July 2018, pp. 1-9 (2018).
- Y. Mao, N.K. Karan, M. Song, R. Hopson, P. R. Guduru, and L-Q. Wang*," Investigation of Solid Electrolyte Interphase (SEI) Formed on Si Nanoparticle Composite Electrodes Using Hyperpolarized 129Xe NMR Spectroscopy”, Energy Fuels, 31 (5), 5622 (2017)
- Y. Mao, D. Kim, J. Joo, M.J. Sailor, and L-Q. Wang*, "Hyper-polarized 129Xe Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Study of Mesoporous Silicon Sponge Materials,” Journal of Materials Research. 32 (16), 3038 (2017).
- Y. Mao, M. Song, R. Hopson, N.K. Karan, P. R. Guduru, and L-Q. Wang, " Hyperpolarized 129Xe Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Studies of Si Nanocomposite Electrode Materials,” Energy & Fuels, 30 (2), 1470 (2016).
- L. -Q. Wang*, " Hyperpolarized 129Xe NMR in Materials Sciences: Pore Structure, Interconnectivity and Functionality,” Invited review article, book chapter: Hyperpolarized Xenon-129 Magnetic Resonance : Concepts, Production, Techniques and Applications, Publisher, RSC publishing (2015).
- D. Rand, P. Lynch, W. Zhu, G. Lowery, and L. -Q. Wang*, “Development and Implementation of a Simple, Engaging Acid Rain Neutralization Experiment and Corresponding Animated Instructional Video for Introductory Chemistry Students,”J. Chem. Educ., 2016, 93 (4), pp 722–728
- K. Klara, N. Hou, A. Lawman, L. Wu, D. Morrill, A. Tente and Li-Qiong Wang*, "Developing and Implementing a Simple Affordable Hydrogen Fuel Cell Laboratory in Introductory Chemistry,” J. Chem. Educ. 91, 1924 (2014).
- M. Song, S. P. V. Nadimpalli, V. A. Sethuraman, M. J. Chon, P. R. Guduru, and L-Q. Wang, " Investigation of Initial Lithiation of Silicon (100) Using Solid-State 7Li NMR,” J. Electrochem. Soc. 161 (6), A915 (2014).
- K. Klara, N. Hou, A. Lawman and L. -Q. Wang, " Developing and Implementing a Collaborative Teaching Innovation in Introductory Chemistry,” J. Chem. Educ. 90, 401 (2013).
- L. -Q. Wang, D. Wang, J. Liu, G. J. Exarhos, " Probing Porosity and Pore Interconnectivity in Self-Assembled TiO2–Graphene Hybrid Nanostructures Using Hyperpolarized 129Xe NMR,” J. Phys. Chem. C 116, 22 (2012)
- L. -Q. Wang, D. Wang, J. Liu, G. J. Exarhos, S. Pawsey, I. Moudrakovski: " Probing Porosity and Pore Interconnectivity in Crystalline Mesoporous TiO2 Using Hyperpolarized 129Xe NMR,” J. Phys. Chem. C 113, 6577 (2009).
- L.-Q. Wang, X. –D. Zhou, C. Yao, G. J. Exarhos, C. F. Windisch Jr, L. R. Pederson, “Probing Proton Dynamics in ZnO Nanorods Quantified by in situ Solid-State 1H Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy" Applied Physics Letters, 91, 173107 (2007).
- L.-Q. Wang, G. J. Exarhos, C. F. Windisch Jr, C. Yao, L. R. Pederson X. –D. Zhou, “Probing hydrogen in ZnO nanorods using solid-state 1H Nuclear Magnetic Resonance" Applied Physics Letters, 90(17):315-317 (2007).
- W. Wang, L.-Q. Wang, B. J. Palmer, G. J. Exarhos, and A. D. Q. Li, “Cyclization and Catenation Directed by Molecular Self-Assembly,” Wang, W; Wang, LQ; Palmer, BJ; Exarhos, GJ; Li, ADQ, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 128, 11150 (2006).
- H. Qishegn, J. Liu, L.-Q. Wang, Y. Jiang, T. N. Lambert, E. Fang “A New Class of Silica Crosslinked Micellar Core-Shell Nanoparticles,” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 128, 6447-6453, 2006.
- I. L. Moudrakovski, L. -Q. Wang, G. J. Exarhos, V. V. Terskikh, C. I. Ratcliffe, J. A. Ripmeester, “Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Studies of Resorcinol-Formaldehyde Aerogels,” J. of Phys. Chem. B. 109, 11215 (2005).
- I. L. Moudrakovski , L. -Q. Wang, G. J. Exarhos, V. V. Terskikh, C. I. Ratcliffe, J. A. Ripmeester, “Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Investigation of Organic Aerogels,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. Commun.126, 5052 (2004).
- M.-Q. Zhu, L. -Q. Wang, G. J. Exarhos, A. D. Q. Li, “Thermosensitive Gold Nanoparticles,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. Commun. 2004, 126, 2656
- L. Q. Wang, G. J Exarhos, J. Liu, Invited review article: "Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Characterization of Self-Assembled Nanostructural Materials," Adv. Mater. 1999, 11, 1331.
- X. Feng, G. E. Fryxell, L. Q. Wang, A. Y. Kim, J. Liu, K. M. Kemner , "Functionalized Monolayers on Ordered Mesoporous Supports," Science 1997, 276, 923.
- CHEM0330 Laboratory: Equilibrium, Rate, and Structure
- CHEM0400 Laboratory: Biophysical and Bioinorganic Chemistry