Concentration Declaration Day (CDD) is a new campus-wide tradition, aimed at celebrating an important milestone in the life of every Brown undergraduate--declaring a concentration and formally joining an academic community.
CDD events have ranged in format (casual drop-in or formal program with speakers). However you choose to run it, your event should focus on bringing together new concentrators, professors, and upperclassmen for one-on-one mixing a mingling, and giving new concentrators a chance to learn more about pathways for engagement within the concentration (research opportunities, seminars, etc.).
- Foster a stronger sense of academic community within the concentration
- Increase the visibility and approachability of faculty members and current concentrators at the time of declaration
- Connect new concentrators to members in the concentration in order to learn about pathways for students to be actively engaged within the concentration (e.g., learn about junior/senior seminars, research opportunities, potential leadership roles, etc.).
Concentrations participating in Spring 2019:
- Africana Studies: April 29, 10:30am-1:00pm (with Research Day)
- Biology, Health & Human Biology, Biophysics, Biochemistry: April 10, 1:00-3:00pm, Alumnae Hall (with Senior Research & Capstone Poster Day)
- Business, Entrepreneurship, and Organizations: April 9, 12:00-1:00pm, Sayles Hall B-18
- Chemistry, Chemical Physics, Biochemistry: April 3, 5:30-7:00pm
- Earth, Environmental, and Planetary Sciences (Geology, Geology-Biology, Geology-Chemistry, Geology-Physics/Math)
- Ethnic Studies
- Medieval Studies
- Modern Culture & Media: April 19, 12:00-1:30pm
- Public Health