Submitting an IC Proposal
Submitting an IC is a straightforward process that asks students to think deeply about their goals and trajectory at Brown, and formulate their various interests into a coherent independent path -- arguably something that all Brown students should do.
*Updated IC Guidelines Effective Fall 2016*
The committee will only review applications from students who have satisfied both requirements below.
(1) IC applicants must submit their first IC proposal by the end of their 5th semester. *Students who are entering Fall 2016 as 6th semester students are exempt from this new requirement.*
(2) IC applicants must meet with at least one of the IC Co-Coordinators before submitting their proposal. Check Meet the CRCers to view the IC Co-Coordinators' open hours.
The IC proposal process consists of:
- Meeting at least once with the student IC Coordinators (email Independent_Concentrations@brown.edu to set up a meeting).
- Completing an IC Application and sending it to the IC Coordinators for comments.
- Finding a Faculty Sponsor (an advisor) and obtaining a letter of support from the sponsor.
- (Optional: Students who are interested in applying for honors should read the IC Honors Thesis Guidelines.)
Proposals are reviewed by the Independent Concentration Committee, which meets six times during the school year. Submission deadlines are the first day of the month in September, October, November, February, March, and April.