Before submitting an Independent Study Application, please read thoroughly the Frequently Asked Questions. We also recommend giving your intended faculty sponsor the Faculty Info Sheet for more information about being a (G)ISP/AI sponsor.
All GISPs, ISPs, and AIs need to submit the Independent Study Application and a Faculty Sponsor statement, along with any appropriate supplements in the list below. Submission instructions are within the documents.
- The completed Independent Study Application (Revised Spring 2021)
- The Faculty Sponsor Statement.
- If a co-sponsor is not a member of Brown faculty, they should complete the Instructor Sponsor Statement.
- If this is a language Independent Study, complete the Language IS Supplement.
- If this is an Academic Internship, complete the AI Supplement. AIs are during the academic year only.
- If students will be taking any field trips, each student must submit the Request for Release and Waiver
Application must be submitted to [email protected] by the deadline.
Every student participant in a GISP is expected to contribute to the course syllabus, and in how each of the classes are facilitated once the semester is underway.
Students wishing to enroll in the GISP need to be on the original roster for it when the proposal is submitted the semester prior. However, during the first week of the semester for the GISP, there is an opportunity for the GISP faculty sponsor and student coordinator to submit a petition to add students to the course.