Before submitting an Independent Study Application, please read thoroughly the Frequently Asked Questions. We also recommend giving your intended faculty sponsor the Faculty Info Sheet for more information about being a (G)ISP/AI sponsor.
All GISPs, ISPs, and AIs need to submit the Independent Study Application and a Faculty Sponsor statement, along with any appropriate supplements in the list below. Submission instructions are within the documents.
- The completed Independent Study Application (Revised Fall 2017)
- The Faculty Sponsor Statement.
- If a co-sponsor is not a member of Brown faculty, they should complete the Instructor Sponsor Statement.
- If this is a language Independent Study, complete the Language IS Supplement.
- If this is an Academic Internship, complete the AI Supplement. AIs are during the academic year only.
- If students will be taking any field trips, each student must submit the Request for Release and Waiver
Application must be submitted to Independent_Study@brown.edu by the deadline.
Every student participant in a GISP is expected to contribute to the course syllabus. For this reason, no student may enroll in a GISP after its proposal has been approved.