Foreign Medical Schools

Disclaimer: These links are provided for your convenience and do not represent an endorsement by Health Careers Advising or Brown University. In addition, Health Careers Advising and Brown University are not responsible for the content of any pages linked to this web site.

The choice to apply to foreign medical schools is baed on a number of factors that vary from applicant to applicant. Some wish to practice medicine in a country outside the US and choose to complete medical studies there. Others are US citizens or residents who apply to foreign schools that prepare graduates for integration into the US clinical system. Students who complete their degree at such medical schools are considered International Medical Graduates (IMG). When exploring foreign programs with the goal to practice in the US it would be important to look at the track record of USMLE passage and residency matching to make an informed choice. International Medical Graduates have to take the USMLE like graduates of US medical schools. They also need to be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Policies and international and inter-school agreements change so research programs well to make informed decisions.