All Brown students have the option of taking studio art courses at the renowned Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), adjacent to Brown on College Hill. Students may count up to four RISD art classes toward graduation requirements at Brown. During the fall and spring semesters, Brown students enroll at RISD under a cross-registration agreement that is part of their Brown tuition. RISD studios are most often 3 or 6 credits. Once approved, each 3-credit RISD course is regarded as the full equivalent of a Brown course while each 6-credit RISD course is regarded as the full equivalent of two Brown courses. Students who register for a 6-credit course at RISD, should be aware that they will only be able to register for up to three additional Brown courses in that semester. Upon satisfactory completion with a grade of C or better, the course is recorded on the student's Brown transcript.
Students may also take courses at RISD during the school’s summer and January terms. January term courses count toward the five courses students may take in the spring term. Summer session is not included in the cross-registration agreement: students pay RISD directly when they register for a summer class and must petition to transfer the course to Brown.
Registration for RISD courses is on a space-available basis and is subject to written permission of the RISD instructor and the RISD Registrar. Students who wish to register for a RISD course should take the following steps:
- Pick up a cross-registration form from the Registrar's Office at Brown.
- Select a studio art course from the RISD catalog and select a grade option.
- Attend the first class meeting and get written permission from the RISD instructor.
- Visit RISD’s Registrar's Office (20 Washington St.) and get written permission.
- Visit Brown’s Registrar's Office to file the necessary permission forms and to enter the course registration in your Brown record.