All Brown students have the option of taking studio art courses at the renowned Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), adjacent to Brown on College Hill. Students may count up to four RISD art classes toward graduation requirements at Brown. Brown students are eligible to enroll at RISD under a cross-registration agreement that is part of their Brown tuition. RISD studios are most often 3 or 6 credits. Once approved, each 3-credit RISD course is regarded as the full equivalent of a Brown course while each 6-credit RISD course is regarded as the full equivalent of two Brown courses. Students who register for a 6-credit course at RISD, should be aware that they will only be able to register for up to three additional Brown courses in that semester. Upon satisfactory completion with a grade of C or better, the course is recorded on the student's Brown transcript. Registration for RISD courses is on a space-available basis and is subject to written permission of the RISD instructor and the RISD Registrar.
For the 2020-2021 academic year, cross-registration between Brown and RISD is allowed ONLY for the Fall 2020 semester. Brown students will not be permitted to cross-register during the RISD Wintersession or RISD Spring 2021 terms. RISD students will not be permitted to cross-register in the Brown Winter/Spring 2021 or Summer 2021 terms.
- RISD students cross-registering at Brown during Fall 2020 may only attend courses remotely. Visit the RISD Registrar webpage for detailed instructions on the process.
- Brown University students cross-registering at RISD during Fall 2020 may only cross-register in courses designated as ‘online’ at RISD in the course catalog. (There are no exceptions to this policy.)
Instructions for Brown University Students to Cross-Register at RISD
For the 2020-2021 Academic Year, cross-registration is permitted in the Fall 2020 semester only.
Brown students may cross register at RISD *only* if the course is designated as ‘online’ at RISD. Registration is not permitted in ‘hybrid’, ‘in-person’ or Independent study designated courses.
Cross-Registration for Fall 2020 must occur during RISD's Add/Drop Period: September 10 - September 17, 2020. Cross-registration will not be available after September 17.
Brown students who wish to cross-register at RISD should take the following steps:
- Access the RISD Course Catalog. The modality of the course is listed, as well as instructor email. Brown students can only take ‘online’ designated courses at RISD. Use the advanced search to search by ‘term’ (Fall 2020), and the ‘course type’ (of online instruction).
- Indicate interest in a course by contacting the RISD instructor via email or reviewing the Zoom information for the first class meeting. A list of centralized Zoom links is available here.
- Fill out RISD’s electronic cross-registration form. NOTE: This form will close on the last day of the RISD add/drop period (9/17/20). Brown students may authenticate into the form using Google (using @brown.edu email). Brown students will have to complete RISD’s Community Commitment to Health Pledge, attesting that even though requesting to register for an online designated course, should you find yourself on RISD’s campus, you will follow the health and safety protocols in place at RISD.
- Once the form is submitted, it will be routed electronically through the permission process. Once all approvals have been secured, the RISD and Brown Registrar’s Offices will register the student for the course.
- Some RISD courses require course fees that Brown students must pay upfront before registering for the course. See RISD Fall 2020 online designated courses with fees
- Fees must be paid to RISD Student Financial Services prior to being registered for the course as part of the registration form. Student Financial Services only accepts debit and credit cards for this payment (payments are made online; payment information will be provided at the time of registration as part of the electronic form).