The Writing Requirement

Working on Your Writing At Least Twice: A Minimum Expectation

Learning to write well is a developmental process that occurs over time. For this reason, beginning with the class of 2018, all Brown undergraduates, must work on their writing at least twice as described below (information for faculty is available here):

Part I of the Requirement - Semesters 1-4: All students must complete an approved course at Brown* University

Note: the internal academic record will list the writing requirement as completed 24-48 hours after a passing grade has been entered.

*Transfer students are the only students who may satisfay phase I with a non-Brown course, but only under certain conditions:
Admitted as sophomores Will automatically meet part I if the student took an approved English, Literary Arts, or Comparative Literature course at their prior institution. No exceptions will be made. The equivalent of "writing-designated" courses (see below) at other institutions will not be eligible for Brown's writing-designation. A course that cannot transfer as an English, Comparative Literature, or Literary Arts course cannot satisfy the writing requirement.  
Sophomore transfers with no such course must take an approved course at Brown, but they have an additional two terms to do so. 
Admitted as juniors Exempt from part I

Part II of the Requirement - Semesters 5-7: Students must complete a second approved course** at Brown in semesters 5-7

**Approved Alternatives to a Second Writing-Designated Course Allowed in Select Concentrations

Biology, Applied MathGerman Studies concentrators, and Math concentrators beginning with the class of 2019, have the option to submit writing completed in the concentration to satisfy the requirement in lieu of a second writing-designated course. Writing must be approved by the end of the 7th semester and will be reviewed and approved by the concentration advisor or a faculty member that they may designate in ASK. Speak with your concentration advisor for additional information.

Instructions for students and faculty in participating departments are available in the IT knowledgebase.

Click the link at left for information about courses that satisfy the University Writing Requirement.