As a result of a cross-registration agreement, Brown University students may register for certain courses at the Rhode Island School of Design and RISD students may register for certain courses at Brown. Cross-registration at either school is on a space-available basis and is subject to permission of the course instructor and the host-school’s Registrar.
RISD students interested in cross-registering in Brown University courses should visit the RISD Registrar webpage for detailed instructions on the process.
Information about Cross-Registration at RISD for Brown Students
All Brown students have the option of taking studio art courses at the renowned Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), adjacent to Brown on College Hill. Students may count up to four credits from RISD courses toward graduation requirements at Brown. During the fall, winter, and spring terms, Brown students enroll at RISD under a cross-registration agreement that is part of their Brown tuition. RISD studios are most often 3 or 6 credits. Once approved, each 3-credit RISD course is regarded as the full equivalent of one Brown credit while each 6-credit RISD course is regarded as the full equivalent of two Brown credits. Students who register for a 6-credit course at RISD, should be aware that they will only be able to register for up to three additional Brown courses in that semester. Upon satisfactory completion with a grade of C or better, the course is recorded on the student's Brown transcript. Students who cross-register for a course during the RISD Wintersession term should note that this course will be recorded in the spring term and counts toward the five courses students may take in the spring.
Registration for RISD courses is on a space-available basis and is subject to permission of the RISD instructor and the RISD Registrar. Completion of VISA 100 is recommended and may be required for some courses. The cross-registration process is completed via electronic forms. Students seeking an exception to the 4-credit policy for cross-registration at RISD should consult information on how to petition the Committee on Academic Standing.
2021-2022 Academic Year
- Fall 2021 Note: As a result of the pandemic, in the fall semester although most courses are taught ‘in-person’, there are still some courses taught as ‘hybrid’ or ‘online’. Students may cross-register at RISD for any modality course (in-person, hybrid, or online) as long as the instructor so approves.
- RISD anticipates returning to normal fully in-person instruction for January 1. Unless changes occur, courses taught in Wintersession and Spring will return to in-person instruction.
Instructions for Brown University Students to Cross-Register at RISD
Brown students who wish to register for a RISD course in the Fall, Wintersession, or Spring terms should take the following steps:
- Access the RISD Course Catalog. Use the advanced search to search by ‘term’ (ie: Fall 2021). The modality of the course is listed, as well as instructor email. Brown students may cross-register at RISD for any modality course (in-person, hybrid, or online) as long as the instructor so approves.
- Indicate interest in a course by contacting the RISD instructor via email. Students should reach out to RISD instructors first to indicate interest before filling out the cross-registration form.
- Fill out RISD’s electronic cross-registration form. This electronic add form will not be available until RISD’s first day of classes for the semester and will close on the last day of the RISD add/drop period. Brown students may authenticate into the form using Google (using @brown.edu email).
- Complete RISD’s Commitment to Community Health and Safety and follow the health and safety protocols in place at RISD.
- Once the form is submitted, it will be routed electronically through the permission process.
- Liberal Arts Courses: Students wishing to take a liberal arts course at RISD will be contacted by Michele Zager after submitting their cross-registration form. They should be prepared to email ([email protected]) the course syllabus of the RISD course, as these courses must additionally be approved by the cognate department at Brown.
- Once all approvals have been secured, the RISD and Brown Registrar’s Offices will register the student for the course.
The electronic cross-registration form cannot be started until RISD’s first day of classes for the semester and will close on the last day of the RISD Add/Drop period.
|9/8/2021||RISD Fall semester begins|
|9/8 - 9/15/2021||
RISD's Add/Drop period
|1/6/2022||RISD Wintersession begins|
|1/6 - 1/13/2022||
RISD's Add/Drop period
|2/17/2022||RISD Spring semester gegins|
|2/17 - 2/24/2022||
RISD's Add/Drop period
Independent Study Projects
- In rare exceptions, Brown students are able to cross-register for an Independent Study Project (ISP) with full-time RISD faculty only. Any Brown student planning an ISP should email [email protected] for further instruction. Include in the email the RISD faculty member that you wish to register for an ISP with. ISPs are not available via the electronic cross-registration form.
- Some RISD courses require course fees that Brown students must pay upfront before registering for the course. For a list of RISD courses with fees by term, click here. Fees must be paid to RISD Student Financial Services prior to being registered for the course. Student Financial Services only accepts debit and credit cards for this payment (payments are made online at the time of registration as part of the electronic form).
Cross-Registration with Anticipated May Graduation
- Brown seniors in their final semester are discouraged from cross-registering in the spring term. RISD’s spring semester ends after Brown’s and grades are not due until after Brown’s Commencement ceremony. As a result, this may delay graduation from Brown.
- Summer session is not included in the cross-registration agreement. Brown students pay RISD directly when they register for a summer class. RISD summer courses are subject to Brown’s transfer credit policy and approval procedures, which students should review and follow closely. Students considering taking a summer course at RISD should consult the section in ASK that outlines the transfer credit policy (Student Petitions ->Transfer Credits -> Information). If transferred to Brown, RISD summer courses count towards the maximum four credits of RISD coursework eligible for graduation requirements at Brown.
RISD Academic Calendar: https://risdregistrar.wordpress.com/academic-calendar/