Office of International Programs

Study Abroad & Academic Standing

Brown's College Curriculum Council requires that students be in good academic standing to study abroad. In addition, many abroad programs require applicants to have a B average (3.0 GPA).

Brown students in good academic standing may study abroad for a semester or a year during their sophomore, junior, or senior year. Most students study abroad during their junior year. Students may also study abroad during the summer. 

Educational systems vary widely around the world. To study abroad, students must demonstrate that they are  firmly grounded at Brown, both personally and academically. Students studying abroad must be flexible and mature enough to adjust to different--even difficult--circumstances in their daily life and classes abroad.

Students on Academic Warning may be allowed to submit an application to study abroad. Students currently on Disciplinary Dismissal from Brown or Serious Academic Warning will not be allowed to submit an application to study abroad. A student on Academic Warning who wishes to petition for an exception to the rules should contact the OIP and must explain the unusual circumstances in her or his life that justify such an exception. However, all students must be off Academic Warning at the time that they go abroad. 

Grant Opportunities

Our grant database offers a wide range of funding opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, and researcher in different fields of work.

Search Grants

Social Media