Welcome! We are pleased that you are considering study abroad. Here’s the general idea of how to plan for the process:
Step 1 - Explore.
- Browse the OIP website and become familiar with the options – review the "key questions" worksheet to guide you through the many options and variables.
- Attend OIP Study Abroad 101 information sessions. Check the OIP events calendar for upcoming sessions, or watch a Study Abroad 101 recording.
Step 2 - Define your experience.
- Determine when you want to study abroad - you can choose from year, semester and summer programs.
- Prioritize locations that are important to you, and make sure you meet the pre-requisites (i.e. language requirements) for study in that country.
- Start narrowing down programs and meet with a study abroad advisor.
Step 3 - Make it happen.
- Familiarize yourself with relevant dates and deadlines for your program(s) of interest.
- Meet with your concentration advisor to ensure that you are able to fulfill academic requirements.
- Talk to your family about study abroad; keep parents and other supporters informed.
- Apply! (Note: Students may apply to only one program per term.)
Step 4 - Go Abroad.
- Accept a spot on a program.
- Follow the post-acceptance process provided by the OIP.
- Pack your bags!
Feel free to visit the OIP resource library (open during office hours), contact us with questions, and meet Peer Advisors, current Brown students who have already studied abroad.