Office of International Programs

Disability & Accessibility

Disability Accommodations

As part of the commitment to help all students reach their full potential, Brown University offers equal educational opportunities and reasonable accommodations for the needs of qualified students with disabilities, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

Things to Consider

You should be aware that the level of accessibility, services, and accommodation to which you have access at your home campus may not be available at the program site and host universities. Other countries may provide access and accommodations in different ways. Learn about the cultural aspects regarding individuals with disabilities in the country(ies) where you will be studying and traveling, and think about how you will interact in a new cultural environment with your disability.

 If you are planning to study abroad, you are not required to inform the OIP of a disability. However, many accommodations require early planning, and requests for accommodations that are made as early as possible (preferably right after acceptance to a program) will enable us to better assist you. 

If you are a Brown student who already is registered with Student and Employee Accessibility Services (SEAS) to receive disability-related academic accommodations, your accommodations information is not automatically transferred from the SEAS Office to the OIP.  Please contact SEAS, which in turn will coordinate with the OIP and your program provider (in the case of an alternative approved or petition program) regarding accommodations. 

Students who are studying on a Brown-sponsored program and who may need accommodations or services due to a disability or medical condition, and who are not yet registered with SEAS, should contact SEAS to discuss their needs and begin the registration process as early as possible in order to allow time to review the specific requests. Disability-related requests for accommodations and services are evaluated individually by the SEAS staff, based on documentation and completion of the registration process.

For more information, please contact the Student and Employee Accessibility Services (SEAS) at 401-863-9588 or by email at [email protected].

Medical Conditions

If you have physical or psychological concerns or conditions that requires on-going treatment or monitoring, you should consult with your physician and/or psychiatrist about the prospect of studying abroad. For example, if you are on medication, discuss with your physician the type of care you may need while abroad and the best way to continue your regimen. Seriously consider the consequences of stress from cultural adjustment and relying on different medical practices.

You should realize that the range of health care and counseling and support services available to you at your home campus will not be available overseas. Identifying your health issues prior to studying off campus will help you determine what resources will or will not be available while abroad. If you have questions about the resources available at your program site, please contact the OIP. 


Grant Opportunities

Our grant database offers a wide range of funding opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, and researcher in different fields of work.

Search Grants

Social Media