A collaboration between the Swearer Center for Public Service, the Dean of the College, and Brown academic departments and concentrations, the Engaged Scholars Program supports students, faculty, and community partners seeking to integrate teaching, research, and practice to advance scholarship and address social challenges facing communities and society as a whole.
The Engaged Scholars Program (ESP) offers:
Educational pathways that connect academic theory and practice, enabling students to gain hands-on experience working with community partners to address important social challenges
Support for the development and teaching of engaged courses and community-based research
For Community Partners
Opportunities to collaborate with Brown students and faculty on community-driven projects and research
Concentrations currently participating in the Engaged Scholars Program include:
Business, Entrepreneurship, and Organizations
Environmental Studies & Sciences
Theater Arts & Performance Studies
Additional concentrations will join each year.
Sign up for our Engaged Scholarship Newsletter!
Erik Ehn, Department Chair of Theater Arts and Performance Studies and Engaged Scholars Program faculty, discusses his work with the Swearer Center.
In the news:
- Communicating Innovation: Why Cities and Universities Need a New Kind of Dialogue. Feature on ESP-sposored course. Huffington Post. August 21, 2016.
- Engagement 101: Providence and Brown University showcase a data-driven partnership. Sunlight Foundation. Feature on ESP-sposored course. August 15, 2016.
- Brown University's Engaged Scholars Program connects academic learning with social impact. News from Brown. May 13, 2016.
- ESP Welcomes 63 New Students. Swearer News. May 11, 2016.
- Shakespeare in the City Unlocks Student Creativity. April 21, 2016.
- Anthropology class pushes students to serve community. March 2016.
- ESP Course Development Grants. February 17, 2016.
- "Helping Students Pursue Research with a Purpose". January 13, 2016.
- Celebration of Engaged Scholars at Brown. April 17, 2015.
- How Engaged Learning can Invigorate Higher Education. By Alan Harlam. March 19, 2015.
- U. to launch Engaged Scholars Program. Brown Daily Herald. Feb 6, 2015.
- From the President, Brown Alumni Magazine, January/February 2015