Innovate Winter Break is a "mini internship" program providing opportunities for student interns to work on engaging projects for two weeks during winter break within social enterprise and nonprofit organizations. Students will have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience working with innovative social change organizations and companies as well as build concrete professional skills through the completion of a tangible project. The Innovate Winter Break program is now in its fourth year! We are excited to announce that for the 2016-17 academic year placements will be offered in Boston, New York City, San Francisco and Washington, DC. Additionally, all interns will be awarded a modest stipend of $350 to help offset food and local travel expenses. Students should already have access to housing in the city in which they are interested in interning.
This program is jointly administered by the Swearer Center's Social Innovation Initiative and BrownConnect — the newest addition to CareerLAB's suite of services — working with Brown alumni to create internship and research opportunities that strengthen students' academic experiences and help prepare them for life after Brown.
Students apply for Innovate Winter Break by submitting one application for their first choice internship in the corresponding Innovate city.
Host Organizations and links for applications will be released by October 10th, 2016.
The application requires a personal statement and a resume. You must choose one organization to which you will submit an application.
Applications are due November 1, 2016.
Innovate Winter Break 2016 Open Office Hours:
Monday, October 31, 12 to 2pm
CareerLAB -- room 207
Visit CareerLAB to ask questions about the Innovate Winter Break internship program.
Questions? Email Gregory_Seiler@Brown.edu.
• Innovate Winter Break projects will take place from January 3-23. Students are expected to work for their placement organization for ten full days during this period.
• Each project will have a deliverable (i.e., website, curriculum, project evaluation, training manual) at the conclusion of the period.
• Participants are required to attend an opening reception/orientation prior to winter break.
• A written reflective statement from each participant is required for submission by January 27.
You are eligible to apply if you meet ALL of the following criteria.
• You must be an active Brown undergraduate student (students graduating in December 2016 are not eligible).
• You must submit a resume and personal statement via the Brown Student Job and Internship Board by the deadline of November 1, 2016. The cover letter/personal statement is an important part of your application. Pay close attention to detail and remember to proofread read your statement. Pay close attending to the following:
1) Why do you want to participate in Innovate Winter Break 2017?
2) Which project would you like to work on and why?
3) What skills and experiences do you have that make you a good fit for the position?
Please note that you should submit only an application to ONE host city.
How to Apply:
• When the application becomes available in mid October, log into the Brown Student Job and Internship Board and search "Innovate [Host city name here]" — depending on your city of interest. Be sure to fill in your chosen host city name and use quotations to find the correct listing.
• The application deadline is November 1, 2016.
• If chosen for an interview, employers will contact you and schedule the interview between November 4-28.
• Employers will notify you if you are selected for their project by the end of November.
Hear from past interns:
Read reflections and see photos from last year's interns on Swearer Sparks.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I apply for multiple positions in separate cities?
No, you can apply for only ONE position.
If I received funding from LINK, UTRA, iProv, or CCG in NYC can I apply for Innovate Winter Break? If I am selected for Innovate and receive funding, am I still eligible to apply for these programs in the future?
Yes, to both. If you have been funded by Brown for another research or internship opportunity you are still eligible for Innovate Winter Break. And, being selected for the Innovate Winter Break program does not disqualify you from applying for other funded Brown opportunities. However, you can only receive funding for the Innovate Winter Break program once. Students who receive stipends this year will not be eligible to apply for the program next year.
If I participated in the Innovate Winter Break program last year, can I apply again this year?
No. Students can only participate in the program one time while at Brown.