How to Apply
We ask applicants for the Social Innovation Fellowships to submit robust and detailed applications. Applicants who submit an initial letter of intent by Oct. 24 will be assigned 2-3 fellowship and Brown alumni advisors to help them hone their project and their proposals. This is not required but is highly recommended. Applicants are also encouraged to meet with Fellowship Directors Lizzie Pollock and Alan Harlam prior to submitting an application.
"At first I was discouraged by the length and complexity of the application, but in retrospect, I think it's great that the application process is so rigorous and detailed. The process of writing such a thorough application in itself was a good exercise and definitely helped refine our idea. We've used bits and pieces from that application over and over for so many different things, from publicity articles to other applications to just sending it to people who want to know more about the project."
- A fellow from the 2016 Cohort
- Monday, October 24: Interested applicants may submit a Letter of Intent that describes: the problem you are seeking to address, a summary of the innovation, and why you are committed to working on this issue. Letters should be no more than one page.
- All students who submit a Letter of Intent will be paired with Proposal Advisors, who are past fellows, Brown alumni, and other professionals who will work with you through the proposal development process
- Monday, November 14: Applicants who are working with proposal advisors must have a first draft of their proposal complete by this point. This should be submitted to proposal advisors and to Lizzie Pollock, fellowship director (email@example.com).
- December 23, 2016 (at 11:59pm EST): Final applications due
- January 20, 2017: 2017 Fellows selected
- Fellows must notify the University if they plan to take a leave of absence for the following fall semester
The application is the same for both Brown and RISD students, however the process to submit is different. Please read below.
Brown students: Please click here to apply through UFunds. The application will open at Friday, October 2 at 5pm. Brown students will need to use the Application Templates below as supplements to the UFunds application, and upload as PDFs before submitting. There are instructions provided in the UFunds application as well. You can SAVE at any time and return later to submit your application.
RISD students: Please click here to download the complete application. RISD students do not have access to UFunds at this time. If you are applying as a team from RISD, please include all applicant information and supporting documents in one PDF.
Application Templates for Fellowship applicants using UFunds: Please click on the links below for the supplemental application materials. Please save as a PDF and upload to UFunds, as noted above.
Applying as a team?
Please select one member to apply on behalf of the team. There will be fields to collect all applicants' information. When a section of the application asks for personal statements, be sure to upload all personal statements in one PDF. NOTE that all individuals require two recommendation letters. If you are not the individual submitting on behalf of the group, please have your recommender or yourself send the letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. For complete instructions, please click here.
Interested in the No-Funding option?
Students who are not eligible for funding (graduate students and students who are graduating in May 2015) can be selected without funding. If you are interested in participating in the no-funding option, please apply using the standard application. We hold the same expectations that you will fully participate in the community in the spring, work on your venture full-time during the summer, and continue in the fall as long as you are on-campus.