The Social Innovation Initiative (SII) is seeking student ambassadors for the 2014-15 academic year!
The Social Innovation Initiative at Brown is a hub for social innovation and entrepreneurship that supports the development of social ventures; builds opportunities to explore innovation through classes, campus activities and careers; and sparks new relationships and ideas for social impact. We support students in four main ways:
- Venture Development: We provide the funding, intensive skills training, and advising needed to build powerful social ventures, including the Social Innovation Fellowship and Brown Venture Launch Fund.
- Academics: Visit our website for a listing of classes that will help you develop a dynamic understanding of the theories and tools of social innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Student groups: Student groups like Design for America, SEEED, and A Better World By Design offer dedicated spaces to explore innovation at Brown and RISD.
- Internships & jobs: Gain connections to professional experiences, fellowships, and funding opportunities that will prepare you for the next step - whether it’s summer, winter break, or post-graduation.
As interest in social innovation has grown across campus, we have found that more students than ever are looking for a way to plug into the social innovation community on campus. We also believe that innovation happens in communities and that vibrant networks are critical to support exploration of and involvement in social innovation. SII Ambassadors will be a team of 4-6 students who will help build a connected, fun, and engaged social innovation community at Brown. Specifically, SII Ambassadors will be responsible for:
- Planning events that feature amazing speakers (students, alumni, and others) on topics related to social innovation and encourage connection and great discussion;
- Reaching out to students involved in social innovation at Brown to learn more about how they want to be involved with SII, what they want to learn, what resources they need, etc.
- Creating stronger connections and relationships with Brown alumni in social entrepreneurship to engage them as mentors, speakers, and supporters of social innovation at Brown.
- Coming up with new ways to involve and educate the campus community in social innovation
- Prior knowledge of social innovation/SII preferred (ex. Social Innovation Fellows, Brown Venture Launch Fund grantees, have taken courses in social innovation such as PPAI1910: Social Entrepreneurship, involvement in groups such as Design for America, A Better World by Design, and/or SEEED@Brown)
- Experience working as a part of a student team toward shared vision and goals
- Event planning experience
- Excellent community builder; experience reaching out to diverse populations, gathering feedback, creating new programs/opportunities
The SII Ambassador role will be a 3-5 hour/week time commitment (approximately). This is an unpaid position, but the work of SII Ambassadors will be supported by a budget for events and programs they develop. Funding is also available to support select SII Ambassadors in attending either the Ashoka U Exchange (held at University of Maryland in February 2015) or Ashoka U’s new student-only conference (held in San Diego in April 2015).
Interested students should send a resume and brief letter of interest to Lizzie Pollock, Assistant Director of Social Entrepreneurship at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, September 8.