Eligibility Policies

In order to participate in Wintersession, students must be:

  • Matriculated undergraduate Brown or Brown-RISD Dual Degree students
  • Enrolled at Brown or on an approved study abroad program for the fall semester
  • Below the four-course maximum of Brown summer and winter courses 
    • Students who have already taken four Brown summer courses may enroll in Wintersession, but the course will not count towards the 30 required for graduation.

Note: December completers (0.5-ers) may be eligible with approval from the DOC Office.

Note: Upon request, doctoral students may be eligible to enroll in Wintersession courses, pending instructor permission and Graduate School approval. Doctoral students who are approved to enroll in a Wintersession course will be responsible for paying tuition independently for that course. Master's students are not eligible to enroll in Wintersession courses. Please direct questions to Vanessa Ryan, Associate Dean of the Graduate School.

Students are ineligible for the Wintersession until the following year if they are:

  • On leave during the fall semester
  • Mid-year transfers (i.e. beginning in the spring)
    • Note: Mid-year transfers who are participating in a Brown study abroad program during the fall are also ineligible.

Academic Policies

Students may take a maximum of one (1) course during the Wintersession. The coursework is intensive, as students complete the same number of hours they would during a semester within a three-week period. Students will have little time for additional commitments.

Registration is open November 15-December 1, 2017. Applications for destination courses and on-campus courses that require an application will be due on November 1, 2017. Please continue to check this website for updates about the application process for individual courses.

Adding or Dropping a Course
Students will not be able to add a Wintersession course after the registration period due to the limited number of course spaces available and the condensed timeframe of the term. The final day to drop a course is Tuesday, January 16, 2018. Please view the Refund Policy for more information on withdrawing from a course.

Changing the Grade Option
If permitted by the instructor, students wishing to change their grade option must do so in Banner self-service by Monday, January 8, 2018.

Requests for Course Performance Reports
Students who choose to take a course on a Satisfactory/No Credit basis, rather than for a letter grade, may initiate a Course Performance Report via ASK. The final day to request a Course Performance Report for a Wintersession course is Tuesday, January 16, 2018.  

Instructors may decline to submit such a form if they do not have adequate information to do so. Copies of Course Performance Reports will be made available to: (1) the student, (2) the Dean of the College office, and (3) the student's concentration advisor. While not part of the official record, Course Performance Reports may be sent out of the University at the student's request.

Class Attendance
Course instructors establish the attendance policies for their courses. Such policies are usually published in course syllabi. Since the Wintersession is only three weeks long, students must be able to commit to all class sessions, except in the event of an emergency.

For Destination Courses: Students who enroll in a destination course are required to travel to the destination with the class and participate in all mandatory activities on site.

Weather-Related Cancellations
In the event that any classes are canceled due to weather conditions, instructors will inform students of the arrangements for make-up sessions within the Wintersession dates.

Auditing and Vagabonding
Neither auditing (registering for no academic credit) nor vagabonding (attending a course occasionally or regularly with the permission of the instructor) is allowed during the Wintersession.

Exam Excuses
The Dean of the College office is solely responsible for determining whether a student's absence from a final examination is excused. Acceptable reasons for authorizing a postponement of a final examination are: (1) serious illness at the time the exam is being administered (i.e., illness sufficiently serious to warrant a visit to Health Services or other health professional); or (2) grave family or personal emergency. A student’s travel plans are never an excuse for missing a final exam. If the student does not complete a make-up exam, or if the student fails the course after taking the make-up exam, then the student will receive an NC (no credit) for the course.

Students requesting an Incomplete in a course must consult with their instructor prior to Tuesday, January 16, 2018 in order to make arrangements for the Incomplete and for the associated completion timeframe. All course work must be finished by the end of the spring semester. If the instructor approves the Incomplete, an INC will be entered as the final grade until the course is completed. 

Academic Code
Students are responsible for adhering to the University’s Academic Code in all courses, including during the Wintersession.

Eighth-Semester Tuition Waiver
Brown students must be enrolled for the equivalent of eight (8) full-time semesters, four (4) of which must be in residence at Brown during the fall and/or spring semesters. Students who successfully complete four (4) Summer or Wintersession courses at Brown (but no more than two credits per summer term or one credit per Wintersession) may request a waiver of the final semester. Students proposing to waive their eighth semester must meet all academic degree requirements, including the 30 course minimum. Courses taken elsewhere cannot be used to waive a semester of enrollment.

Credit Value/Enrollment
Wintersession courses are intensive and carry full credit, equivalent to those offered during the fall and spring semesters. 

Financial Policies

Payment Information

Payment Deadline for Wintersession: December 15, 2017

Students are billed following course registration. Please note: Courses that do not meet the minimum number of students will not run during the Wintersession. Payments made toward canceled courses will be refunded.

Check Conversion Notification: Providing a check for payment authorizes Brown University to either use the information from the check to make a one-time electronic funds transfer from your account or to process the payment as a check transaction. When Brown uses check information to make an electronic funds transfer, funds may be withdrawn from your account as soon as the same day the payment is received. The check will not be returned from your financial insititution. For questions, please contact the Cashier's Office at 401-863-1280 or email cashier@brown.edu.

International Wire Transfers
Brown University has partnered with Flywire to offer a streamlined and cost saving way to make international tuition payments. With this partnership, students and families are offered favorable foreign exchange rates, the ability to pay in their home currency (in most cases), and savings compared to traditional banks. In addition, students and families will be able to track payments via Flywire's dashboard and will be notified via email (and/or text) when payment is received by Brown University. Visit the Flywire website to make an international student account payment.

Please review the refund schedule on our Payments & Refunds page.

Financial Aid
Financial aid is available for students who receive aid during the academic year. Please visit our Financial Aid page for more information.

Loan Deferments/Enrollment Reporting to NSLDS
Students with loans can only be reported to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) as being enrolled in the traditional academic year (fall and spring semesters). Accordingly, the University Registrar cannot report the Wintersession dates for any student for loan deferment purposes. In the case of December completers (0.5-ers) who have received permission to enroll in a Wintersession course, or any student who goes on a spring semester leave after the Wintersession, the last date of attendance must be reported to NSLDS as the last day of finals in the fall semester.  

For additional information about finances, please visit Wintersession Finances.

Housing Policies

Room Condition Reports - For study abroad students not on campus in the fall
Students are responsible for the condition of their room. Reporting any pre-existing damage in the residence hall room and/or common area is the only way to avoid being held financially accountable for damage found at the end of occupancy. Students should call Facilities at 401-863-7800 for any items that will need repair.

For lock-outs Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., students may sign out a spare key at the Office of Residential Life. In the evening and on weekends and holidays, students must contact the Department of Public Safety at 401-863-3322 to gain access to their rooms. 

Room Key
Brown University issues one room key to each resident assigned a room in a Brown residence hall. Students are expected to be in possession of their room key whenever they leave the room, even if it's “just for a minute.”

Key Return - For students who will not be on campus in the spring
Keys are due immediately upon checking out of the room. This is necessary both for reasons of security and to allow Residence Life to make the room available for the next resident. Students are responsible for depositing their room key in the key slot at the Office of Residential Life (42 Charlesfield, Grad E). 

Lost/Stolen Keys
Report lost or stolen keys to the Office of Residential Life during business hours (Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.). Contact the Department of Public Safety at 401-863-3322 for assistance. 

Student Rights and Responsibilities

The Principles of the Brown University Community form the foundation for student conduct expectations at the University. They emphasize individual integrity, respect for others, respect for University resources, and respect for the values of teaching, learning, and scholarship. Commitment to these principles fosters an environment in which all students may enjoy the rights and privileges that accompany membership in our community.

The Manager of Curricular Programs reserves the right to dismiss a student and require that they leave immediately if in their judgment the student behaves in a manner which endangers him/herself, others on the program, or the program’s continued operations. They may dismiss students for academic or non-academic reasons. Illegal drug use is grounds for immediate dismissal.

Brown undergraduate students are expected to adhere to these principles at all times, including the Wintersession. For complete information about student rights and responsibilities, please visit Rights and Responsibilities.

The University’s Student Rights and Responsibilities also remain in effect for all students who participate in destination GELT courses during the Wintersession.