The College oversees two teaching and advising prizes, awarded each year: the Henry Merritt Wriston Fellowship and the Karen T. Romer Prize for Undergraduate Advising and Mentoring.
The Henry Merritt Wriston Fellowship is awarded each year to regular untenured members of the faculty (assistant professors and lecturers) who have achieved a record of excellence in teaching and scholarship during their first years at Brown. The winner, chosen by a faculty committee, is granted one semester of leave on special assignment at full compensation, including benefits, during the next academic year.
Applications for Wriston Fellowships are due by March 10, 2023. Faculty members interested in applying for this award are asked to submit their application packet electronically through UFunds. Applications should include the following:
- a personal essay describing the candidate's teaching philosophy and teaching accomplishments at Brown, and research plans for the fellowship semester (approx. 1000 words)
- a letter of support from the department chair
- two additional letters of support from colleagues who can comment on the candidate's teaching and on the merits of the proposal
- a current CV
- a listing of all courses taught (with enrollments), and leaves taken for each semester the candidate has been at Brown
- copies of teaching evaluations for the last two semesters of teaching
- submit application materials through UFunds, Brown's online application system.
The Karen T. Romer Prize for Undergraduate Advising and Mentoring was created in 2004 to recognize and reward excellence in advising by Brown faculty. The prize was established by the family of trustee Marty Granoff, and is named for a former Associate Dean of the College who was a creative and passionate advocate for undergraduate education.
The Romer Advising Prize is presented each year to two faculty members who have demonstrated extraordinary care in attending to the academic and personal needs of undergraduate students. Each winner receives an award of $7,000.
A request for nominations goes out to faculty and students every February, and winners are selected by a committee of students, faculty, and administrators. The prizes are awarded at a special ceremony. For further information about these awards, please email [email protected].