Next DUS Lunch: Monday, November 6
12:00 - 1:00 PM (lunch served at 11:45)| Brown Faculty Club
The Director of Undergraduate Studies Role
The Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS) is a faculty member responsible for delivering information about their undergraduate program to current and prospective undergraduates. In the context of Brown's otherwise open curriculum, the role takes on added significance, as the process of "declaring" or choosing a concentration represents a major event of undergraduate academic life. As students have advocated for stronger academic communities within their respective concentrations, the DUS has the potential to serve as an important intellectual leader/mentor who might, at their very best, foster an engaging and inclusive academic culture.
While particular responsibilities may vary depending on the size and complexity of the undergraduate program, the DUS is generally considered the key bridge between the department and its undergraduates. In addition to oversight over the structure and content of the undergraduate concentration(s), the DUS may also be responsible for:
- advising undergraduate concentrators, and/or overseeing other concentration advisors in this work;
- reviewing syllabi for new or modified courses submitted via the course proposal system;
- and collaborating with other unit administrators around course schedules/teaching assignments;
- chairing or convening a curriculum committee or an honors committee;
- representing the concentration(s) at various events hosted by the Dean of the College office;
- serving as a liaison to the Departmental Undergraduate Group (DUG); overseeing Concentration Declaration Day;
Resources for Concentration Advisors and Directors of Undergraduate Studies
The Dean of the College office maintains regular contact with DUSes and other concentration advisors through a number of means, including:
- Advising @ Brown, a self-paced online course for new concentration advisors in Canvas;
- Orientation for new concentration advisors and department managers: Thursday, September 7, 12 - 1:30 pm in the Brown Faculty Club;
- Calendar of important concentration-related events and deadlines via PDF and Google (to add to your calendar, enter the following address in the "Add a coworker's calendar" under the Other calendars section of your Google calendar: firstname.lastname@example.org);
- Monthly emails on a range of topics;
- DUS Lunches with the DOC, 12 - 1PM in the Brown Faculty Club.
Thursday, September 14
Thursday, October 12
Monday, November 6
Thursday, February 15
Monday, March 19
DUSes/Concentration Advisors may also wish to look up policies related to undergraduate advising.