Campus Resources

Students, faculty, and staff with concerns about alcohol or other drug use are encouraged to contact one or more of the offices listed below for information, support, and/or referral.

Dean of Chemical Dependency

Shannon O'Neill
401 863-2536 

The Dean for Issues of Chemical Dependency provides comprehensive academic and social support in non-clinical settings for Brown students, faculty, and staff in recovery from chemical dependency. The Dean is available for one-on-one and group consultation for Brown community members who are concerned about their use of drugs and alcohol, who suspect that someone they know has a problem, or who are negatively affected by others' substance abuse. All inquiries are confidential.

Health Services

401 863-2794

Brown's Office of Health Education offers individual counseling and referrals, facilitates interactive workshops, and coordinates special events on a wide range of health topics, including alcohol and other drug use.

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

401 863-3476

CAPS provides crisis intervention and short-term psychotherapy to students. CAPS also offers a variety of workshops, support groups, and presentations on mental health issues, including alcohol and drug issues, throughout the year. The office provides Providence-area referrals to students who need longer-term treatment.

Student Support Services

401 863-3145

Student Support Services provides resources that enhance the quality of campus life and that support students in living healthy, balance lives. Student Support deans provide support for students who need assistance or advice regarding any personal issue, including those involving alcohol or other drugs."