Writing Fellows Applications open in UFUNDS on Monday, March 5th at 5:00PM and close on Friday, March 30th at 11:59PM.
The Writing Fellows Program aims to support student writers through collaborative, inclusive, and accessible peer exchanges. Writing Fellows work to foster a community rooted in dialogue concerning anti-racist writing practices, the existence of multiple Englishes, and systemic barriers in academic writing. As such, Fellows support the varied forms of writing that stem from different disciplines, backgrounds, and writing processes.
Writing Fellows work in classes in conjunction with professors to give peer feedback on student writing. In practice, Fellows listen to the writer and place their voice at the center of the fellowing process. The job of a Writing Fellow is not to ensure better grades on papers. As empathetic peer readers, Fellows are not authoritative figures or arbiters of “good writing.” Through comments and one-on-one conferences, Writing Fellows encourage students to conceptualize writing and learning as dynamic, collaborative processes.
Eligibility: All rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors in good academic standing are eligible to apply.
- All new fellows enroll in English 1190M: The Teaching and Practice of Teaching Writing during their first semester in the program (Fall 2018)
- Fellows usually work with 6 - 9 students on two papers over the course of a semester, each time reading and responding to drafts, and meeting in person with writers to discuss revision plans. They also meet with the professor of the course they are fellowing and with fellows assigned to the same class to discuss writing response commentary.
- Each semester all fellows attend a planning meeting and a weekend retreat and participate in spring recruitment activities.
Spring 2018 Timeline:
- 3/5, 5:00pm: Application Opens
- 3/8, 5:30-7:00pm: Application Workshop (Room 104 of the BCSC)
- 3/19, 7:00-8:00pm: Application Workshop (Writing Center, 5th Floor of SciLi)
- 3/30, 11:59PM: Writing Fellows Application Closes
- 4/9-4/12: Applicants who have been invited into round two of the selection process receive notification to sign up for interviews
- 4/14-4/15: Interviews
- 4/24: Fall 2018 Writing Fellows cohort invitations extended
- 5/9, 6:00pm: Writing Fellows Induction and Senior Send Off Ceremony