The Swearer Center is seeking experienced students to serve as Peer Advisors for the Spring 2018 semester. Peer Advisors (PAs) must have at least one year of experience in Swearer Center program(s). PAs will serve as an initial point of contact for students seeking to get involved in community engagement, engaged scholarship, and/or social innovation opportunities or who are looking to deepen their engagement or shift to other opportunities. This is a stipended role at $700/semester, and will consist of 4-6 hours of advising and other outreach activities per week.
The following are the core responsibilities of Peer Advisors:
- Become well versed in Swearer programs and resources
- Attend Swearer open houses and large student-facing events; at these events PAs will serve as presenters and speakers, sharing their own experiences with Swearer programs
- Participate in regular Peer Advising Open Hours at the Swearer Center or other central campus locations, where students can seek advice and guidance on their community engagement work
- Advise students about linking community engagement with academic studies
- Refer students to appropriate staff or faculty at the Swearer Center or at Brown to connect them to specific programs or opportunities
- Develop and support efforts to publicize Peer Advising Open Hours to the Brown community
- Share insights and feedback on themes or common questions that arise during advising conversations
Interested students should submit a resume and letter of interest (please indicate any Swearer programs you have been involved with) to Lizzie Pollock, Associate Director of Student Development, at email@example.com by December 1.