Housed at the Swearer Center for Public Service at Brown University, the Brown University AmeriCorps VISTA Fellowship is a full-time, post-graduate service and fellowship opportunity. The Swearer Center works to create a community of scholars, students, practitioners and community members that work together to build on community strengths and address community challenges. We are committed to change in our community by developing high impact, sustainable and reciprocal community partnerships.
VISTA Fellows are matched with a local organization, state agency or Swearer Center department to provide capacity-building support for anti-poverty initiatives. Agencies work in the education, health, arts and/or economic justice sector. VISTA fellow placement sites include:
- 21st Century Community Learning Centers at D'Abate Community School and Hope High School
- Beat the Streets Providence
- Providence CityArts for Youth
- Generation Citizen
- Providence After School Alliance
- Refugee Dream Center
- RI Office of Innovation
- Swearer Center - Academic Engagement
- Swearer Center - Community Partnership
The program provides high-impact professional development and training that enhances our VISTA Fellows’ personal and professional skills. Trainings will include role-specific support in data analysis, community organizing and relationship building. Professional development workshops will also support VISTA Fellows in advancing their careers. The fellowship is team-focused and provides a variety of resources to help you make the most of your service year experience.
Eligible candidates for the Brown University AmeriCorps VISTA Fellowship will be:
- A US citizen or legal permanent resident
- At least 18 years old
- A college graduate (a minimum of a Bachelor's)
- Experienced in work with nonprofits
There is a three step application process:
- Applicants must first complete an AmeriCorps application via the My AmeriCorps website which includes providing a motivation statement and two references.
- Applicants must then complete a supplemental Brown application that includes uploading a resume, answering specific questions about how your skills and experience align with our sites and elaborating on three essay questions.
- Finally, applicants must upload a resume to Dropbox.