This VISTA Fellowship provides high-impact professional development and training for our VISTA fellows. Training addresses skills required to carry out the assigned VISTA role, as well as skill-building that will be valuable to the VISTA fellow in their future professional pursuits. The fellowship is a cohort-based experience that creates the opportunity to learn from your peers in the fellowship as much as you will learn from your service and from Brown and the Swearer Center.
VISTA fellows are matched with a local organization, state agency or Swearer Center department to provide capacity-building support for anti-poverty initiatives. Agencies work in the education, health, arts and/or economic justice sector. VISTA fellow placement sites include:
- 21st Century Community Learning Centers at D'Abate Community School and Hope High School
- Beat the Streets Providence
- College Advising Corps at Brown University
- Generation Citizen
- Providence After School Alliance
- Providence CityArts for Youth
- Refugee Dream Center
- RI Office of Innovation
- Times2 STEM Academy
- Swearer Center - Academic Engagement & Student Development
- Swearer Center - Community Partnership
- Swearer Center - Faculty Engagement and Research
Trainings will include role-specific support in data analysis, community organizing and relationship building. Professional development workshops will also support VISTA fellows in advancing their careers. The fellowship is team-focused and provides a variety of resources to help you make the most of your service year experience.
Eligible candidates for the Brown University AmeriCorps VISTA Fellowship will be:
- A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident
- At least 18 years old
- A college graduate (a minimum of a Bachelor's)
- Experience working with a nonprofit
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills
- Responsible and reliable
- Able to work in a dynamic environment
Applications for the 2019-20 academic year are currently open and will be accepted on a rolling basis. There is a multi-step application process:
- Complete an AmeriCorps application via the My AmeriCorps Portal, which includes providing a motivation statement and two references.
- After initial screenings, successful applicants will be asked to fill out a supplemental Brown application which includes uploading a resume to Dropbox and answering specific questions about how your skills and experience align with our site.
- Accept your offer and come join us in Providence. We look forward to welcoming you into our Swearer family!