In 1998, Dr. Cyril Mazansky of Newton, Massachusetts, and a parent of a Brown graduate, donated 105 British swords to Brown University Library. While they are now administered by The Anne S. K. Brown Military Collection, they are on permanent exhibition at the Annmary Brown Memorial, 15 Brown Street. The swords are displayed in 8 vertical cases and 12 vitrines, and are illuminated using fibre-optic lighting.
Ranging from an early 17th century English rapier to World War One dress swords, the collection includes a wide range of weapons such as broadswords, smallswords, regimental issues and mameluke swords. Detailed labels inform the visitor about the various manufacturers, the forms of engraving found on the blades, and any information about the owners and provenance.
In addition to the Mazansky Collection, the Annmary Brown Memorial houses exhibits of European and American paintings from the 17th through the 20th centuries, as well as personal mementos of its founder, General Rush C. Hawkins, and the Brown family. The book and manuscript collections, assembled by General Hawkins and formerly housed in the Memorial, were transferred to the John Hay Library in 1990.
The Annmary Brown Memorial was built between 1903 and 1907 as a library, art gallery, and mausoleum to the design of Rhode Island architect Norman Isham. It is distinguished by monumental bronze doors featuring allegorical representations of Art and Learning. The Memorial was independent until 1948, when it was transferred to Brown University. General and Mrs. Hawkins are entombed in a crypt at the rear of the building.