The Brown Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Program is an intensive one-year master’s and certification program that prepares tomorrow’s teacher leaders. The program prepares teachers in secondary education (grades 7-12) English, history/social studies, or science (biology, chemistry, or engineering/physics).
The Brown MAT program aims to prepare critical, impactful, and reflexive secondary teachers who demonstrate excellence in both their academic discipline and the multifaceted field of education. It aims to produce teachers with deep understanding of the social contexts of education and how they affect students, families, communities, and schools. It seeks to cultivate skills and commitments in pre-service teachers to improve student learning outcomes and promote equity in education. Graduates will be prepared to approach the teaching of students in diverse communities with empathy and cultural competence based in critical reflection that strives to continuously improve their own practice.
Attend our information session on December 8, 2018 to learn more about our program directly from faculty, current students, alumni and staff!
Distinguishing Features of the Brown MAT Program
• Small cohort-based program that fosters close relationships with faculty who supervise practicum experiences, teach analysis seminars, and are experts in teaching and learning
• A commitment to promoting equity in schools through preparation in culturally responsive pedagogy, curriculum design, and instructional methods
• Access to highly regarded scholars and professionals at Brown and beyond
• A program that thoroughly integrates theory and research with your own teaching practice
• Extensive fieldwork experience that begins with teaching at Brown Summer High School in a collaborative and supportive environment
• A focus on community engagement that highlights the contextual aspects of teaching
• Personalized academic and career advising with a strong record of successful job placement following the MAT year
• A vibrant alumni network of education leaders
Leaders in Education
The need for excellent teachers has never been greater. We believe teaching is intellectually challenging work that enhances knowledge and human sensitivity. It is work that can subtly but surely make a mark on the world. By bringing high expectations, strong academic preparation, and a caring and collaborative focus to all of the children they teach, MAT graduates pursue leadership opportunities in the classroom and beyond. As teachers, educational researchers, school leaders, and community advocates, they influence reform in our nation’s schools.
The current MAT program begins with a summer session that runs from June 18, 2018 through August 3, 2018. The Brown academic year (2018-2019) begins September 5, 2018. Commencement is Sunday, May 26, 2019. The design of the program makes it necessary for all students to begin the program in June and complete the 12-month sequence.