The Brown Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Program is an intensive one-year master’s and certification program that prepares tomorrow’s teacher leaders. The program prepares teachers in elementary education (grades 1-6) or secondary education (grades 7-12) English, history/social studies, or science (biology, chemistry, or engineering/physics).
The Master of Arts in Teaching Program at Brown University prepares future educators to enter the classroom ready to create a community of high achievement for all students. With a passionate commitment to equity and social justice, MAT candidates become content experts who create innovative and rigorous learning experiences for youth. The program is intentionally small in size and fosters close collaboration with faculty and mentor teachers.
APPLY NOW for our 2018-2019 academic year! Please see this announcement regaring the Elementary Education track of the Brown MAT program.
Distinguishing Features of the Brown MAT Program
- Intentionally small cohort-based program of reform-minded future educators committed to creating equitable schools for all children
- Dynamic summer teaching experience in a collaborative and supportive environment
- A diverse range of student teaching experiences
- Rigorous academic coursework to broaden and deepen content-area expertise
- Close relationships with faculty who are experts in teaching and learning
- Teaching and learning opportunities in a city that is at the center of current education reform movements
- A strong alumni network of education leaders
- A record of successful job placement in a variety of education settings following the MAT year
Leaders in Education
The need for excellent teachers has never been greater. At Brown, we believe teaching is intellectually challenging work that subtly but surely makes a mark on the world by working to improve the futures of young people and society every day. MAT graduates pursue leadership opportunities in the classroom and beyond; as teachers, school leaders, community advocates, and policy makers, they spur reform initiatives in schools, educational organizations, and at the district and national levels.
The MAT program begins with a summer session that runs from June 19, 2017 through August 4, 2017. The Brown academic year (2017-2018) begins September 6, 2017. Commencement is Sunday, May 27, 2018. The design of the program makes it necessary for all students to begin the program in June and complete the 12-month sequence.