Brown University School of Engineering

Advanced Placement and Transfer Credit

Advanced Placement

Students who have taken Advanced Placement courses in high school and/or have shown proficiency through advanced placement examinations are often able to start at a higher level rather than taking the specific courses listed for the freshman year. Some very advanced students may actually start with the courses listed for semester III, as arranged during freshman week with their freshman advisor (an engineering faculty member) on an individual basis.

Note: Advanced Placement is not the same as transfer credit! Students must take one college-level chemistry course at Brown. Those students who have good high school preparation in chemistry should take Chemistry 0330 — especially if they are likely to concentrate in Biomedical, Chemical and Biochemical, or Materials Engineering. Students with very little preparation in chemistry may prepare for Chemistry 0330 via self-study or Chemistry 0100. However, Chemistry 0100 does not satisfy the "college-level chemistry" requirement of the Engineering programs. Students who place out of Chemistry 0330 must successfully complete another higher level Chemistry course in order to receive course credit for Chemistry 0330.

Our Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET ( accredited programs specify that students take four semesters of math while enrolled here at Brown, beginning with Math 0190 or Math 0170. If a student comes in with advanced placement credit (e.g. placing out of Math 0190 or Math 0200) he/she is strongly recommended to take a higher level math course as a replacement. Examples of such courses are Math 0520 (Linear Algebra), Math 1260 (Complex Analysis), Math 1610 (Probability), Math 1620 (Statistics), Applied Math 1170 (Numerical Analysis), Applied Math 1210 (Operations Research), or Applied Math 1650 (Statistical Inference). However, the student with advanced placement credit for Math 0190 or Math 0200 also has the option of replacing the math course with an advanced-level Science course, subject to the approval of the concentration advisor. Students can enroll in ENGN 0030 if they are taking Math 0100 concurrently (or are beyond that level). Those in Math 0090 cannot take ENGN 0030 until they reach that level. The minimum four-course humanities and social sciences requirement for the Sc.B. in Engineering cannot be met by advanced placement.

Advising and Transfers

The Engineering faculty strongly believe that advising is very important for students throughout their undergraduate years at Brown. Entering students who indicate an interest in concentrating in Engineering are assigned an Engineering faculty advisor, with whom they meet for discussion during orientation week. Students who transfer into Engineering after beginning their studies at Brown, or who transfer from another University, should contact the Office of Academic Programs and Student Affairs. Students are responsible for meeting regularly with their assigned faculty advisor to discuss their academic program to be taken during the first two years. The responsibility for initiating contact for each meeting lies with the student. Students needing assistance beyond what they may receive from their Engineering faculty advisor should contact the Director of Engineering Undergraduate Programs or the Dean of Engineering.

Course registration forms for each semester of the freshman and sophomore years must be signed in advance by the faculty advisor and must be submitted by the end of October for semester II, and by the end of April for semester I.

Transfer Credit

Students who have successfully completed college courses elsewhere may apply to the University for transfer credit. (See the Brown University Bulletin for procedures, or contact the Dean of the College.) Transfer courses that are used to meet concentration requirements must be approved by the student's concentration advisor, and must be described briefly on the student's concentration electronic form. Transfer courses that are determined by the concentration advisor to be substantially equivalent to a required Brown course automatically fulfill concentration requirements. In rare cases, students may petition the concentration committee to use courses that do not have an equivalent offered at Brown to meet a concentration requirement. Substitutions of this nature can only be approved if the student's overall program meets published educational outcomes for the concentration and has sufficient basic science, mathematics, and engineering topics courses to meet ABET credit hour requirements. Students should consult their concentration advisor for assistance with drafting a petition. The decision whether to award concentration credit is made by majority vote of the concentration committee. It is the policy of Brown Engineering that students who graduate from Brown with an Engineering degree have completed most of the Engineering portion of their program while in residence as a matriculated student at Brown University. (This includes courses completed abroad under the auspices of the Brown Office of International Programs.) Therefore, the use of a "large number" of transfer or concentration credits to complete an Engineering degree after the student has left Brown, is discouraged. Rather than placing an absolute limit on the number and types of such courses or credits that will be accepted towards a Brown Engineering degree, each such case will be reviewed by the Engineering Concentration Committee which will make a recommendation to the Engineering Executive Committee of what course credits to accept or deny, on an individual basis. The Engineering Executive Committee will make the final decision in such cases.

Note: Students who come to Brown from overseas may be eligible for such advanced placement. They should point this out to their freshman advisor during fall registration.