Brown University School of Engineering

Study Abroad

Rachel Conner '14: Spent a semester studying in Rome.Rachel Conner '14: Spent a semester studying in Rome.

Study Engineering in a Global Context

Spending a semester abroad will not only enrich your undergraduate experience, but will also help prepare you to practice engineering across national boundaries after you graduate.

Approximately 15% of engineering students participate in a study abroad program. During the past few years students have studied in Australia, Great Britain, Ireland, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Turkey, Japan, China, South Africa, and New Zealand, among many other countries. Many students also arrange to spend part or all of a summer abroad.

The Office of International Programs lists a large number of pre-approved study abroad programs. You can choose from programs organized by Brown, or organized by a partner University. Nearly every institution on the list offers engineering, and the programs at Dresden (Germany) and Cantabria (Spain) have been organized specifically for engineering students. If the country you wish to visit is not listed, you can also petition to organize your own program.

If you would like to study abroad, you should:

  1. Select one of Brown's pre-approved programs, or prepare a petition to organize your own study abroad program (consult the OIP website)
  2. Decide which semester you will study abroad. Engineering students often find that their third, fourth or fifth semester work best.
  3. Submit an application (or petition) through the OIP website. Application are usually due 8-9 months prior to the semester taken abroad, so you will need to start planning your program at least a year in advance.
  4. Plan your academic program. If you are an Sc.B. engineering concentrator, it is helpful to be able to transfer credit from abroad for at least two of your concentration requirements. Your concentration advisor (or freshman or sophomore advisor), can help you to select the best courses and to include them in your program.
  5. File, or update, your concentration declaration form (available through the ASK system) to include courses transferred from your study abroad and obtain your concentration advisors approval for the program. You should file a form even if you are a sophomore.
  6. If you find you need to change your course plan during your study abroad, let your concentration advisor know, and if possible update your concentration declaration.
  7. After you return from your study-abroad program you will need to file a form to obtain concentration credit for any study-abroad courses used to meet concentration requirements. To do this, (a) arrange to meet with the faculty members teaching the equivalent courses at Brown, and obtain their signatures first; then (b) obtain your concentration advisor's signature.

For additional questions, please feel free to talk with the School of Engineering’s study abroad advisor.