Brown University School of Engineering

Application and Budget Request

The School of Engineering provides funding and other resources (staff and faculty time, space on campus for meetings and events) to  engineering-related student groups and organizations. Each group is required to fill out a formal application to receive funding. 

Each student group is required to fill out a formal application to be considered for funding. Each year, every student organization must complete the Proposal for Support for Student Organizations (due by July 1st for the upcoming academic year.)

Budget requests will be reviewed based on planned activities, and their impact for the Brown Engineering community, comprehensiveness and detail of budget, porportion of dollars requested to total membership, and levels of participation in funded activities. As a rule, Engineering funding for student groups should focus on student activites, (and cannot be used to fund categories such as t-shirts, honararium, or consulting fees.)  Questions on prosposal should be directed to Associate Dean Jennifer Casasanto at

All applications will be reviewed by the Dean of Engineering, Associate Dean of Engineering, and the Engineering Executive Committee to determine whether the group may start up or continue, and how much funding the School of Engineering will provide. 

School of Engineering funding should not be the only source of funds, please also plan to apply to the Undergraduate Finance Board as well as relevant departments (Physics, CS, Applied Math, Chemistry) for funding.