Applications to the Honors Program in English must be submitted no later than the second semester of a student's junior year. The deadline is Wednesday, April 4, 2018.
Eligibility: To be eligible for the Honors Program, applicants must have received more As than Bs in courses taken as part of the concentration. Courses completed with a grade of C will not count toward an Honors Concentration.
The application procedure consists of the following steps:
- If you have not yet declared your concentration in English, please see any one of the undergraduate concentration advisors for guidance in completing the concentration form.
- Submit the online English Honors Program application to the department as early as possible (but no later than April 4) in the spring semester of your junior year. ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE ELECTRONIC.
The electronic application is available here.
- Request TWO letters of recommendation, which must be submitted to Professor Jim Egan by the application deadline:
a) A letter of recommendation and support from the English faculty member who has agreed to serve as your thesis advisor, and
b) A letter of recommendation from a professor from whom you have taken an English course. (If necessary, letters may come from faculty in related departments. Letters from teaching assistants may only serve as supplementary recommendations.)
- Provide a brief sample of your critical writing. No more than five to seven pages are needed (a course paper, for example).
- Submit a one-page description of your proposed project SIGNED by the faculty member who has agreed to serve as your thesis advisor.
- Your grades will be reviewed as part of the application process.
- Update your ASK concentration plan so that it accurately reflects the courses you are using. You will need to certify on the electronic application that this has been completed.
Students who are studying off campus are expected to meet the application submission deadline. Students planning to be abroad during the spring semester of the junior year should consider submitting all application materials before leaving campus in December.
Applications will be evaluated and candidates will be informed of the decision before the start of registration for fall courses. Students whose applications have been accepted should register for ENGL1991, Senior Honors Seminar in English, for the fall semester 2018.