Graduate students in terminal degrees are eligible to have degrees conferred, and to receive their diploma, at three different times during the academic year: October, February and May. See the Registrar’s website for details and deadlines.
October and February graduates are welcome to participate along with May graduates in the Commencement ceremonies held in May. The Graduate School will reach out to October and February graduates in January 2023 to the email address recorded on your Application to Graduate, with instructions for registering to attend and participate.
Required Steps for 2023 graduates (Subject to Change)
All eligible graduates should complete the following steps, including October 2022 and February 2023 graduates. Additional steps may be added closer to Commencement weekend
October deadline: September 9, 2022
February deadline: January 13, 2023
May deadline: May 1, 2023
- The University can only graduate and generate diplomas for graduate students who complete this application.
- The application enables you to list your name as you would like it to appear on your diploma and be listed in the Commencement program. The default formula is first name, middle name, last name.
- Once logged into Banner, select the Student Records menu and select the Application to Graduate menu item.
2. Complete the Award Form by May 1. Identify awards and honors you received while a graduate student at Brown for possible inclusion in the Commencement program. Please do so regardless of whether or not you plan to participate in Commencement.
3. Register to attend the doctoral or master's ceremony (further information to come in Spring 2023)
4. Purchase academic regalia from the Bookstore.
5. Sign up for photos with GradImages.
Individuals with disabilities requesting accommodations should contact the office of Student Accessibility Services directly prior to Commencement weekend.