|Hear what participants had to say about the workshops. Read the story.|
The Effective Performance workshop series for graduate students is designed to introduce students to performance values, drawn from improvisational and theatrical techniques.
The Graduate School and Trinity Repertory Theater host workshops each semester, after piloting the approach in 2015-16. Workshops are offered as a five-session workshop series and as a one-time three-hour workshop. Students may apply to join a cohort of 12-20 students to participate in the multi-week interactive workshop led by experts from Trinity Repertory Theater or apply to participate in the one-session workshop.
Guided by professional actors, participants are given the opportunity to explore in a fun and interactive setting how to engage their bodies, voices, and passions to communicate in compelling ways. The workshop will also offer an opportunity for participants to build connections with students in other programs. Working together in a spirit of collaboration and open exchange, students will work on developing skills in enhancing presence, active listening and story telling, and responding dynamically to an audience. Participants should wear comfortable clothes and be ready to move and play.
To help prepare graduate students to be effective communicators for research and teaching through interactive workshops.
1. Explore theater techniques, experimenting with play, spontaneity, and connecting to your audience.
2. Discover the story behind your research and study.
3. Develop comfort and confidence in making an engaging research statement.
Program Coordinators: Vanessa Ryan (Brown) and Curt Columbus (Trinity Rep)
Lead Instructor: Mauro Hantman
5 Sessions (3 hours each), in the Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 semesters.
- Improvisation and Performance Values/Finding Your Story (Lead Teacher: Mauro Hantman)
- Shaping Speech (Lead Teacher: Angela Brazil)
- Dropping into the Body (Lead Teacher: Jude Sandy)
- Your Fullest Voice (Lead Teacher: Rachael Warren)
- Putting it All Together: Performance (Lead Teacher: Mauro Hantman)
A committee of Trinity Rep and Graduate School representatives will help select a diverse and cross-disciplinary cohort of graduate students who can benefit from the workshop.
- Articulated commitment to expanding communication skills.
- Potential for program to advance student's educational and professional goals.
- Articulated need for the program to make a significant difference in developing skills.
Students interested in applying to the 5-Session Workshop Series must:
- Be a current doctoral or master's student in good academic standing (all disciplines are eligible to apply).
- Complete an online application form.
5-Session Workshop Series
Schedule: Mondays, 5-8 pm, on the following days through October and November: 10/17, 10/24, 11/7, 11/14 & 11/21.
No workshop on October 31.
5-Session Workshop Series
Schedule: Mondays, 5-8 pm, on January 30, February 6, February 27, March 6, March 13.
Application Deadline: Wednesday, January 25, 2017
Spring 2017 application