As a graduate student, you will need to activate your Brown Account. The account gives you access to electronic services, including a Brown email address. To activate, you will need your Brown ID number, provided to you via email.
To activate, visit http://activate.brown.edu/
- Enter your last name, date of birth, and the ID number.
- Your Brown username and email address will be listed on the last page - print this page or make a note of them.
After activation, we recommend you:
- Setup Two-Step Verification. The first time you log in to a Brown service like Banner, you will be prompted to set up a means of verification, such as a phone number. You can log into MyAccount after setup to add additional devices or phone numbers. Read more about two-step verification at brown.edu/go/twostep
Note for international students: International numbers are acceptable and they should be entered with a + in front of the country code. If you don't plan to get a US cell phone once in the country, you can use the smartphone app, print a sheet of bypass codes from MyAccount, or pick up a token from the IT Service Center.
- Add a mobile number to Banner. This allows you to reset your Brown password should you forget it, and also ensures you are notified should an emergency occur at Brown. To do this, log in to selfservice.brown.edu and click Personal Information.
- Log in to your email. You can simply visit gmail.com and log in with your Brown email address and the password you chose for Google services.
During the activation process, please be sure to make a note of your Brown username and Google username (email address) and the two corresponding passwords. If you have trouble activating your electronic services, call CIS' IT Service Center at (401) 863-4357 or visit them in the CIT building at 115 Waterman Street.