International Orientation is organized by the Graduate School and the Global Brown Center for International Students.
- Grad Assistant's Unofficial Guide to Brown
- Your First 14 Days in Providence with Quarantine Resources.
August & September 2020 | Online Offerings
Exact dates and times are subject to change. Most sessions will be available through our online platform, Accelevants. You should have received information on setting up an Accelevents account on August 21, 2020. If not, please email [email protected]. All sessions will be recorded to allow viewing at alternate times in the Accelevents platform. You may submit questions ahead via this form.
- International Students: Welcome to Brown
Watch on August 25
- Introduction to the English for International Teaching Assistants Program (PhD students only)
Watch on August 25
- Global Brown Center: Virtual Lounge for Incoming International Graduate Students
August 11 | 9 - 10 am | Join via Zoom
August 18 | 9 - 10 am | Join via Zoom
Tuesday, August 25
- Peer Panel: Navigating Graduate Student Life at Brown and in the U.S. August 25, 2020 | 9:30 - 11 am
- Introduction to the International House of Rhode Island
August 25, 2020 | 11:15 am - 12:15 pm
Wednesday, August 26
- Discussion Groups with Your Peer Mentor (additional sessions will be organized by your Mentors)
August 26, 2020 | 9:45 - 11 am | Join via the Zoom link you received (also available on the agenda in the Accelevants platform)
- Healthcare in the U.S.
August 26, 2020 | 11:15 am - 12:15 pm
- English Language Support - Conversation Partners Program Information Session
August 26, 2020 | 1-1:30 pm
- Social Event: Social Butterfly (a meet & greet session)
August 26, 2020 | 2:30 pm | Join via Zoom
Thursday, August 27
- Mandatory Session: Immigration Essentials (Fall 2020 start only)
August 27, 2020 | 9:30 - 10:30 am
- Understanding How Your Stipend is Taxed
August 27, 2020 | 10:45-11:15 am
- Racialization & International Students: Reflections on an Uncertain Present and an Anti-Racist Future
August 27, 2020 | 11:30 am - 12:30 pm
- Social Event: Pictionary
August 27, 2020 | 3 pm | Join via Zoom
Friday, August 28
- Social Event: Yoga & Meditation
August 28, 2020 | 11 am - 12:30 pm | Join via Zoom
Thursday, September 3
Conversation Partners Program Information Session
September 3 | 10-10:30 am | Join via Zoom
Would you like to get to know someone new? Are you interested in practicing small talk, slang, or pronunciation in English? The Conversation Partners Program pairs individuals with diverse language backgrounds for regular conversation and cultural exchange and is open to multilingual Brown students in any timezone around the world. Student and staff partners “meet” remotely twice per month for informal English speaking practice. Students who are interested in being matched with a partner this semester should attend the information session via Zoom to learn more! Contact English Language Support at [email protected] with questions.
Study Group (Academic Chat)
Every Tuesday from 12-1:30pm EST
The Academic Chat is turning into a study group: there will be time devoted for discussing research challenges participants might be facing, and time for everyone to work on their own research (it's literally like meeting with friends at the library to study your own thing, but over Zoom). Hosted by Sophie Brunau-Zaragoza, doctoral student in French Studies. Sign up.
International Student "Hang Out"
Every Friday from 12-1pm EST
A conversation hour for anyone who has any questions or is just craving social interaction. Drop by any time, and for however long you need. Meant for incoming and continuing international graduate stuents. Hosted by Sophie Brunau-Zaragoza, doctoral student in French Studies. Sign up.