May 9, 2018
Dear Graduate Students,
Brown University’s Insurance Office has announced that United Healthcare Student Resources (UHCSR) will continue to underwrite Brown’s Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), without any changes in coverage. The plan will also continue to be serviced by Gallagher Student Health (GSH). The 2018-2019 annual premium for individual coverage will be $3,846.
Please note, all Brown students are required to show proof of health insurance while they are actively pursuing degrees at the University. As part of the Brown University's five years of guaranteed financial support, the full premium will be paid by Graduate School for eligible doctoral students. Students may waive SHIP coverage by presenting proof of comparable coverage to the University's Insurance Office by July 31, 2018.
Health Insurance Waiver/Buyout
We urge graduate students who are covered by another comparable health insurance plan to waive the University plan. If you waive the University plan and you are eligible for the subsidy, you will receive a buyout of $400, which will be distributed at the end of September through the Student Account system. If you have a credit balance on your student account at the time the buyout is disbursed, you will be able to request a refund from the Bursar's Office. If you do not have a credit balance at this time, the $400 will be applied to the outstanding balance on your student account.
Other Helpful Information
- Email communication concerning your insurance coverage will be sent to you from GSH and UHCSR. Please check your email and campus box for important notifications. By disregarding them you will miss very important information and deadlines, such as waiver deadlines and claim information.
- You will be receiving an email from GSH with instruction on how to download your insurance ID card to your cellular phone. No physical cards are provided unless specifically requested through UHCSR’s website.
- If you need to seek medical care outside of University Health Services, you should locate a provider that is in network by visiting the GSH website. In the left menu, under My Benefits and Plan Information, click on the link Find a Doctor. You must present your insurance ID information to the provider so that they will bill UHCSR for services.
- If you have questions about a medical bill you may have received from a provider, you should contact UHCSR toll free number or send them an email. They can help explain why it was sent, if you need to pay it or submit it through a claims process.
- When a claim is submitted by the provider on your behalf to UHCSR for payment, once the cumulative claim amount has reached $1,000, UHCSR will contact you via email asking if you are covered under any other health insurance plan. This is referred to as a ‘coordination of benefits’ and is common throughout all health insurers in the United States. It is very important that you respond to this email ASAP, as no further claims will be paid by UHCSR until this information is received.
- Claim questions should be directed to UHCSR. The Brown University Student Health Insurance Office does not have access to view claims submitted to UHCSR due to the HIPPA privacy law. However, should you need further explanation of an outstanding claim, you may contact the Insurance Office via email or telephone and they will be happy to assist you by navigating you through the claims process.
- Visit the GSH website for a complete list of frequently asked questions. In the left menu, under My Benefits and Plan Information, click on the link and you will see a list of the most commonly asked questions specific to Brown’s SHIP plan.
- You may incur out of pocket costs as indicated below:
--Deductibles: $300 per person per policy year for certain procedures; $100 per person per policy year for inpatient hospitalization or outpatient surgery.
--Copays: $15 copy for Physician’s Office visits; $25 copy for Urgent Care; $100 copay for Emergency Room per visit.
The detailed insurance rates are as follows:
|Coverage Dates||8/15/18 – 8/14/19||1/15/19 – 8/14/19||6/1/19 – 8/14/19|
|Two or More Dependents||$7,632||$4,432||$1,568|
Brown Insurance Office
Email: [email protected]
Gallagher Student Health (GSH)
Brown University Graduate School
Brown University Insurance & Purchasing Services