Choosing the Right Day Care
Choosing the right care option for your child may be a complicated and daunting process. You will want to weigh options of in home care or center-based care, tour daycare centers, ask questions of the center staff or individual providers, and speak to other graduate student parents in the community. To help in this process, we’ve provided some starting points in your search:
- Child Care Checklist: A list of questions and issues to consider when touring a daycare center.
- Day Cares: A non-exhaustive list of child care facilities in the Greater Providence area. Brown does not endorse these facilities. Graduate parent-scholars are encouraged to explore these and other options of child care. (See disclaimer below.)
- RI DCYF Listing of Licensed Day Care Providers in the State: A searchable database of licensed daycare providers in the State of Rhode Island.
- NAEYC Accredited Program Search: A searchable database of National Association for Education of Young Children (NAEYC) accredited providers.
- Exceed Rhode Island, Family Resources: Informational resource for families on early learning development, how to select the right early learning programs for children, and link to BrightStars searchable database for early learning programs.
- Exceed Rhode Island, Brightstars: A direct link to Brightstars, a program that assists families find the quality early care, education and afterschool programs and rates these programs by research-based standards that support early learning and development.
Note on daycare centers: Most daycare centers operate on a first-come first-serve basis, depending on availability. It is recommended that you apply for a waitlist as soon as possible. Waitlist times can vary, but it is recommended that you tour day care centers and apply for a waitlist as soon as you become pregnant or know you will be moving to Rhode Island for school.
Please refer to the Schools page for information on local elementary through high schools. The list is not state-wide or exhaustive, and does not represent an endorsement. (See disclaimer below.)
Graduate Student and Postdoc Parent Network listserv.
Disclaimer: We do not endorse particular day care facilities. The list of resources and links are for informational purposes only. We strongly encourage all parents to research and tour potential day care facilities, schools, playgroups, etc.