Skip to Navigation

Fulbright Canada Awards

The Canada-U.S. Fulbright Program operates on the principle of reciprocal exchange and provides opportunities for outstanding American students to study and/or conduct research in Canada. Award recipients include American citizens who are graduate students, prospective graduate students, or junior professionals.


  • Traditional Fulbright student awards: US $15,000 for one nine-month academic year. These all-discipline awards can be taken up at any college, university, think tank, or government agency in Canada.
  • Fulbright-mtvU Fellowships: Grants are for one nine-month academic year. Projects should center around research on an aspect of international musical culture, and should focus on contemporary or popular music as a cultural force for expression or change. This grant is suspended for the 2017-2018 academic year.
  • Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Awards: Valued at US $120,000 for three academic years, this award is for students in STEM fields who wish to study at one of six top-ranked partner research institutions in Canada. This grant is suspended for the 2017-2018 academic year.


  • Be in compliance with all Foreign Scholarship Board (FSB) guidelines.
  • Be in compliance with all governmental regulations regarding visas, immigration, travel and residence.
  • Be a citizen of the United States (permanent resident and/or landed immigrant status are not sufficient).
  • Have met the appropriate degree requirements.
  • Where necessary, be able to demonstrate the appropriate language proficiency.

Please note that applicants may not:

  • Hold permanent residency status in the prospective host country
  • Currently reside in the prospective host country.
  • Have resided abroad for 5 or more consecutive years in the 6 year period immediately preceding the date of application.

Internal Deadline: TBD
External Deadline: October 11, 2016

Special Instructions: Applicants must collect all supporting documents, e.g., foreign language report, references, transcripts, etc., and submit them with the hard copy application to Thomas Lewis, the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Barbara Bennett. Supporting documents must be received in their original sealed envelopes with the signature or stamp of the individual or institution across the flap.

For more information: Contact Thomas Lewis, the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. For information about the Fulbright program, contact Michelle Emond, Program Officer (Students).