Established in 1946, the Fulbright U.S. Student Program aims to increase mutual understanding between the United States and other countries through the exchange of people, knowledge, and skills. It is the largest U.S. international exchange program, offering opportunities for recent graduates, postgraduate candidates, and developing professionals and artists to conduct career-launching study and research in more than 140 countries worldwide.
The program is funded primarily through an annual appropriation from Congress to the Department of State. Participating governments and host institutions also contribute through cost-sharing and indirect support, e.g., through salary supplements, tuition waivers, and university housing. Most grants require a commitment of one academic year, although in some cases advanced doctoral candidates and candidates in the creative and performing arts may submit requests for grants of not less than six months. Applications are considered from candidates in all fields.
- Be U.S. citizens at the time of application.
- Hold a B.A. degree or the equivalent before the start of the grant and/or be a master’s or doctoral degree candidate. In the creative and performing arts, four years of professional study and/or experience meets the basic eligibility requirement.
- Have sufficient proficiency in the written and spoken language of the host country to communicate with the people and to carry out the proposed study.
For more information, please visit Fulbright website.
Application deadlines & interview dates:
- Application cycle is now open for the 2021-22 competition
- Brown Initial Submission Deadline: September 3, by 4:30 p.m.
- Brown Campus Committee Review Process: September 13-24
- National Online Submission Deadline: October 12, 2021
For Brown graduate students the Fulbright application process begins at Fulbright's online application page. Technically, all applications go through the University's Fulbright Program Advisor (FPA), the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs. All of your application work, however, is done directly online on the Fulbright site. As per the instructions found at Getting Started page on the Fulbright website, all of your application materials are submitted online at the Fulbright site. All of these materials must be submitted by the established Brown Initial Submission Deadline (also called the "internal" deadline). Note: once you submit your application material, you will lose access to your application until after your campus interview.
Shortly after the Brown Initial Submission Deadline you will be scheduled for a campus interview. You will receive email notification from the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs of the day and time of your campus interview at Brown.
Following the campus interview there will be a three to five day period when you will again have access to your online application. This access is granted by the FPA who "unsubmits" your application following the campus interview allowing your access. During this short period you will be able to make any additions, updates, or edits based, at least in part, on what you may have learned through the campus interview process.
At the end of this period of access, which will be announced, you must once again submit your online application according to the date and time of the Brown Final Submission Deadline. The final step in the process is when the FPA submits all Brown Fulbright applications in a batch to Fulbright.
Fulbright application process steps:
- Submit your application on the Fulbright online application site by the date and time of the Brown Initial Submission Deadline.
- Participate in the campus interview.
- Make any changes to your online application based on what you may have learned in the interview.
- Resubmit your online application according to the date and time of the Brown Final Submission Deadline.
The Fulbright application process is handled entirely online and Brown students must submit all materials via the Fulbright online application portal. All letters of recommendation are submitted through the Fulbright online application system, as well. If you have further questions, contact [email protected].