Prospective and current graduate students should consult the Brown Graduate School Financing and Support page for a comprehensive overview of fellowship and aid packages, cost of living in Providence, and other useful planning resources. Students are also encouraged to consult the "Funding" section of the History Graduate Handbook

An overview of doctoral and master's funding at the university can be found on this page, and at the department in our FAQs.

Research and Travel Funding at Brown

Doctoral students in History in good standing are eligible for departmental funding of travel in support of research and conference presentations through applications submitted once per year, in either fall or spring semester. They are additionally eligible for one-time funding in support of language or other essential research skills acquisition. The department maintains an internal database of external funding competitions and sample applications.

PhD students at Brown may match or augment those funds through a number of university sources for conference and research travel.

The History Department offers two sources of funding. Research and Travel Funds supports winter and summer research work and conference presentations by doctoral students. The Graduate Open Fund support research and career development activities not normally covered by any of these sources (e.g. MA research, job hunt expenses.)

In addition, the university has emergency loan programs that offer immediate assistance.

External Funding and Sixth Year Funding

Brown University encourages students to independently seek external funding by applying the Incentive Program for Doctoral Students to eligible awards. This program can provide supplements and a guarantee of sixth-year funding for students in the humanities and social sciences.

In cases where students require more than five years to complete the degree, the Graduate School provides sixth-year doctoral students in the Humanities and Social Sciences who are in good standing tuition scholarships and support for health and dental insurance and health services. Students in the seventh year and beyond may apply for tuition scholarships and health insurance. Advanced students may also obtain funding from various university centers and institutes through Interdisciplinary Opportunity fellowships.

Quick Links: